Post MCAT people...WHO AGREES WITH THIS GUY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tesfawMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was reading this blog
http://drflowersmcat.com/blog/trick_questions_on_the_mcat

And couldn't help but wonder how SDN felt about his take? (and by the way he kinda called out SDNers lol :laugh:)

I disagree.
Science and science-related tests tend to be objective. If there is a correct answer to each problem, and not a 'best-fit' answer, one is responsible for being able to reach that answer. I feel like if there were any trick questions, they'd perhaps fall in the verbal section. It's no one's fault but their own if they were unable to understand the structure/style of the MCAT questions.

I think you means you agree... (did you read the guy's blog post?)

There are not trick questions. There are tricky questions. Those will confuse you and you may select a wrong answer, but the better prepared you are the fewer times this will happen.

The MCAT is a darn good test. I know we all love to complain about it, but as far as standardized tests go it is one of the best designed, consistent, and reliable ones that exist.

We're supposed to feel like we've been raped after taking the test because unlike most of your university class exams you are not expected to get 90+% correct (although a few super geniuses do). It is designed to push you well beyond your breaking point over and over again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan/tpr have much more "tricky" questions than the mcat.

a tricky question is one you get wrong, read why you got it wrong, then roll your eyes at the extra bit of info they included to "make it tricky"

the mcat never seems to have those.

I think you means you agree... (did you read the guy's blog post?)

There are not trick questions. There are tricky questions. Those will confuse you and you may select a wrong answer, but the better prepared you are the fewer times this will happen.

The MCAT is a darn good test. I know we all love to complain about it, but as far as standardized tests go it is one of the best designed, consistent, and reliable ones that exist.

We're supposed to feel like we've been raped after taking the test because unlike most of your university class exams you are not expected to get 90+% correct (although a few super geniuses do). It is designed to push you well beyond your breaking point over and over again.

In terms of percentage correct, what does a 30 on the MCAT correlate to percentage wise?

I agree, there arent trick questions, only gaps in our own knowledge or logic that prevents us from seeing the correct answer choice. For VR tho its really debatable on which answers are correct for certain questions, but thats not about tricks thats just them putting answers that are close, and you picking the one thats more correct.

depends on what you mean by trick questions.
when you read an mcat questions, as with any multiple choice test, there is one correct answer as well as three "distractors". sometimes the distractors seem like REALLY GOOD answers. So good, you can probably convince yourself they are right if you try hard enough. Often they are right if it wasn't for a single detail in the question or passage. Just read carefully and make sure u dont fall for them.