Post Merger; ACGME residency to AOA fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stlblues17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I will be attending a DO school this fall and I had a question regarding AOA fellowship training post ACGME residency. Let me preface this by saying I know that I realistically have know idea where I will end up 4 years from now specialty wise. But as a native of the Midwest, I am aware of academic ACGME programs that are DO friendly.

My question is: Can a DO whom graduates from an MD ACGME program (post merger) apply to an AOA (post merger) fellowship?
Eg. ACGME IM-> AOA Cards;
ACGME gen surg-> AOA sub surg specialty.

I will go into school with my mind open as to what area of medicine is right for me, but this is a curiosity of mine.

Thanks for your response.

Members don't see this ad.

By the time you finish your residency, assuming all goes as planned, there will not be any AOA fellowships, there will only be ACGME fellowships some of which have an osteopathic focus.

In any case, even if things fall through, we may assume things will be the way they are now. That means that you could likely apply to the AOA to have your ACGME residency recognized as "AOA equivalent". Doing so would allow you to apply for AOA fellowships. Again though, by the time you finish residency, I doubt this will be an issue.

For more info on how things work now (i.e. before the merger), you can look through here:

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a.../Pages/aoa-recognition-of-acgme-training.aspx

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users