Post-Military Residency and Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

majiatas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a pre-med looking into HSPS. One of my main concerns is the issue of residency placement. I have a few questions about this.

- If for some reason (say, in the navy), I spend my four years doing an internship and GMO tours without ever doing a residency, will it be more difficult for me to get a civilian residency after I'm out of the military?

- Is it usual for those who don't match with the military residency of their choice to be forced into some other specialty that they don't want, or is this something that has pretty much been corrected?

- For people who are out or almost out of the military, do you think that having a military residency, then working in military rotations, tours or hospitals in some way leaves you unprepared for private practice after the military?

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

My answers are bolded

I'm currently a pre-med looking into HSPS. One of my main concerns is the issue of residency placement. I have a few questions about this.

- If for some reason (say, in the navy), I spend my four years doing an internship and GMO tours without ever doing a residency, will it be more difficult for me to get a civilian residency after I'm out of the military?

There may be better people to answer this question since I am 2 years from re-starting residency, but talking to PDs, I got the impression that it is variable. Some PDs look at your service very favorably, while others are concerned that you may get called back into AD while in training. It kinda depends on what specialty you are going for though. The more competitive the specialty, the harder it will be.

- Is it usual for those who don't match with the military residency of their choice to be forced into some other specialty that they don't want, or is this something that has pretty much been corrected?

The military can not force you into any specialty that you don't want to go into.

- For people who are out or almost out of the military, do you think that having a military residency, then working in military rotations, tours or hospitals in some way leaves you unprepared for private practice after the military?

Can't really full comment on this as I have not been residency trained, but I know my medical skills/knowledge is eroding quickly as a GMO. I try to do as much CME as possible to counteract this.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks a lot.

I know plenty of people who have left after GMO tours and secured a residency of their choosing. As long as you have good grades and board scores, should not be a problem.

You may do an internship that is not of your choosing, but not a residency. You have to complete an internship to get a license and be a GMO, so that is a must have. Beyond that (PGY2+) is nice to have by Navy Standards.

Plenty of friends have gotten out and all have gotten jobs in the area they wanted.