Post MS looking to go to MD/DO?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ejwessy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I graduated college in 2010 with a 3.2 GPA in health Sciences. I then continued on to Drexel and got my MS in PathA (pathologists assistant) and graduated in 2013 with a GPA of 3.4. Ive been working now for 2 years but am feeling complacent. Ive always wanted to go to med school but never felt the time was right. I am now 27 and want to explore my options before its too late.

Thoughts on DO vs MD for me...
What kind of MCAT score would I need?
Am i too old??

Members don't see this ad.

Old???

Some of my all time best students were in their 30s and 40s. I graduated one last year at 50.

Your GPAs are OK for DO schools, but not competitive for MD schools. Unfortunately the latter do not place much stock in MS degrees, unless they're SMPs, which are auditions for med school.

A competitive MCAT score for DO schools will be > 503.

Hi all, I graduated college in 2010 with a 3.2 GPA in health Sciences. I then continued on to Drexel and got my MS in PathA (pathologists assistant) and graduated in 2013 with a GPA of 3.4. Ive been working now for 2 years but am feeling complacent. Ive always wanted to go to med school but never felt the time was right. I am now 27 and want to explore my options before its too late.

Thoughts on DO vs MD for me...
What kind of MCAT score would I need?
Am i too old??

The med school population tends to be somewhat bimodal, with the "right-out-of-undergrad" to "two years research after graduation" crowd forming one curve and the other, older crowd coming from advanced degrees, other careers, black holes, what have you. I entered med school at 28 and was pretty much at the front of the latter curve, which had a long tail of outliers in their mid-30s and even early 40s. As I tended to associate with my own (more mature) crowd, I actually felt relatively young most of the time, and after the first 2 years of medical school I didn't give my age any thought whatsoever.

Feeling complacent is not a great reason for getting your MD, however. On the other hand, I'm not sure there are any good reasons, despite what we spout off on interviews. I honestly believe that medicine will always be a leap of faith, not only because you'll never know what it really means until you're knee deep in it, but because you'll be a different person with a different perspective on life and your goals by the time you've achieved it. That's not to say you won't be happy at the end (I am), just that it is near impossible to predict. Most people will find some aspect of medicine they enjoy, but most wouldn't have guessed what that would be at the beginning. A sad few will not find anything redeemable in medicine and either quit, burn out, or both.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is wondering why this thread got a bump, it's literally the only thread on the board containing "PathA" as a searchable term.