Post MSI Summer Research Qtn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nvshelat

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MSI that is interested in EM; I have two options for summer research - one would involve working in the anesthesiology department at a major children's hospital where I get to be in the OR and some research. I've been promised that this is a learning experience, heavy on physiology and pharm, and there will be no scut work - lots of observing and lots of learning. The other option is in the ED (L1 academic ctr) where I would be doing data gathering for a research study. I have the feeling that this will be less learning and more scut work (go interview this person, gather the data, do some stats work, etc). I'm not sure which to choose, but if I chose the second option, would I be better off b/c I would presumably have a LOR from an EM physician, if I pursue EM in the future? Or would it not matter, and I should just go for the learning experience? In either situation if I do well I would hope to get a letter, but does it help that much to have a letter from an EM physician as opposed to a gas guy if I pursue EM later on?

I hope that made sense.. it's st. pattys, forgive me..

Members don't see this ad.

I just matched in EM (whew), and, frankly, what is probably the most important is getting a good letter (s) during your ER rotations. However, connections are always a good thing and I'd actually advise you to do the ED research project. It might be scut, but it's an unfortunate reality that it's probably be good to get to know the attendings and residents at your center. EM residents are pretty cool generally and may let you get involved in a more clinical way as well. When you're applying to EM, from what I understand, your letters should primarily be EM. You could have a medicine or surgery letter, but it would have to be really, really strong. You'll be fine either way though.
Feel free to message me if you have any questions, as I did a little bit of EM research myself, albeit during the fourth year.

I agree, do the emergency med research. If you want learning experience in anesthesia, you will have time to do an anesthesia rotation as an elective. Once you've used up your last free summer it may be harder to find a good opportunity to do research and devote yourself to it. I'm not aware of research projects for medical students that aren't mainly doing the scut work... we don't have the skills/knowledge to do anything else in most cases! That's why you have to work your way up the chain.

On the other hand you could easily change your mind about what specialty you want to go into at some point during your schooling and then you may wish you had done the more fun experience. I'm all in favor of having fun instead of stressing out during that summer. By the time you are an MS4 and applying for residency you will probably have other people who know you better to get LORs from anyhow. And they don't all have to be from the specialty you're applying to.

Any other thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance