post scramble advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salsterz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found out recently that I failed step 2 ck..I have passed step 1 and CS. This obviously was a crushing blow to matching this year. However i was wondering if i take this exam by latest may-june of this year..do i still have a chance of matching at some unfilled spot? At this point any family med or prelim surgery spot will do for me. I just dont want to be without a spot this year. any advice will be helpful. Thanks guys
sal

Members don't see this ad.

I believe it all depends if you are an IMG or AMG. You will be withdrawn from match if you are an IMG and as far as i know being an AMG all you need is to have Step 1 passed coz many take Step 2 during thier first yr of residency.

drhk, where did you hear/read that AMG students alot of them take 2ck during the first year of residency? ALOT of AMG students that have done very good on Step1 will take step2 very late in 4th year so in case they do poorly it wont affect there interview chances etc, but alot of places wont rank you without a Step 2ck.

I found out recently that I failed step 2 ck..I have passed step 1 and CS. This obviously was a crushing blow to matching this year. However i was wondering if i take this exam by latest may-june of this year..do i still have a chance of matching at some unfilled spot? At this point any family med or prelim surgery spot will do for me. I just dont want to be without a spot this year.
From past experience, most unfilled positions will fill during the Scramble, and those that remain Post-Scramble will be depleted within weeks. Last year, by May 31, the number of unfilled programs was practically zero. So, take the exam when you are ready, and when you do pass, go to FindAResident or CareerMD and look for open positions. You may still be able to find something for July, but if not, off-cycle is always a possibility. Last year I was in a similar situation, and decided to give myself the time I needed to pass the exam and apply for this yr's Match.

I appreciate the replies guys. Goldgate I had a question. what did you mean about getting a residency off cycle? how do you go about doing that? I ask since you were in my shoes last year. Also did they fill up the prelim surgery spots also by july? thanks
sal

The same thing happened to me last year. I failed step 2 CK by one point. last year (2006) I applied to 5 local positions and got 4 interviews. The PD of one of the places I interviewed sent me a handwritten card (I still have) that said he was sorry, and if I retake it and pass I would be "a good candidate for the scramble". ANother PD sent me an email (that I saved into my filing cabinet) after they found out I failed step 2 CK by one point that said they were sorry about it, thought my life experience made me a "great" candidate, and to apply again next (this-2007) year.

I applied to both of these programs again this year and was not granted an interview. This year I applied to ALOT of programs and got hardly any interviews.

Even though I withdrew from the match last year, I got the list of unfilled programs - but I decided to wait until this year, and did not scramble last year. Then someone mentioned trying to find an offcycle position (openings that occur roughly August to March), and I tried - but just did some cold-calling - could not find anything. I wonder how someone finds off seasons openings - I am sure if a spot opens up (due to someone dying, going to jail, getting sick, quitting etc) it fills fast.

I had 4 of 5 places I applied interview me last year and express interest - so I thought this year would be a repeat - it wasn't... so get in when you can! Don't put it off. I am not sure what happened different this year - one of the hospitals I did 3 of my core rotations and an elective at (OB,Pedes, Surgery and Emergency), had 3 letters from residency instructors, one from a member of the hospital board of directors, knew several of the residents well (having rotated with them) and my wife had even written a home loan for one of the residents even though they had lousy credit, and my wife got them a fantastic deal - I thought for sure this hospital would invite me back for an interview....nope. So now I am 1 year post graduating, FMG, becoming less desireable the longer I am out of it, wish I had scrambled when I had the chance.

So how does one find off-cycle open spots???