Post Traffic Day Q: Definition of "Acceptance"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JKetlerP

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As we come on to the "2nd half" of the acceptance-game, I just read something that really surprised me that I hadn't heard before. In post #7 in this thread from 2016 says that one is considered accepted once the acceptance offer has been made. This implies that one is in violation of the rule against holding multiple acceptance immediately upon an offer being made. Which is bad news for you.

What I don't get is that I thought you have 5 days to make a decision. Does that only apply if you don't have any other acceptances?

I previously assumed that acceptance is defined as beginning when you agree to attend, so in my mind one would have 5 days to accept the acceptance, at which point one would no longer be able to hold multiple acceptances.

Does anyone know how to define an "acceptance"? I didn't see this explained elsewhere, I'm sorry if it is.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
....what

Let's keep it simple. It's April 30. If you had more than one offer by end of business today, you needed to decline offers of acceptance until you had only one remaining.

If you hold an acceptance and get accepted off a waitlist from this point on, you have 5 days to decide which acceptance you will decline.

An acceptance, as the term is used here, is a school accepting you. Whether you choose to accept them is another matter.

Reactions: 6 users
OK, so if I'm understanding right, I will have 5 (or 2, or whatever the school specifies) days to let the "new" acceptance know my decision. I have the same 5 (or whatever it is) days to let the "old" school know my decision.

If so, I'm relieved...I somehow had the impression I had only that business day to decline the original acceptance.

This right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I'm so sorry for continuing to ask silly questions, but if I just got accepted off a waitlist, does that mean I have to withdraw my other acceptance BEFORE I accept this acceptance?