Post-undergrad job opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arlyo8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've recently graduated and am in the process of deciding whether or not I want to continue to apply to medical school. my GPA turned out relatively low (3.18 science, 3.5 overall), so my plan as of now is 1. work a healthcare related job to get experience, and to definitively decide if I want to continue on the long road to med school 2. look at post-bacc masters programs (hopefully to prove that i'm better than the duo of C's I got in some science classes).

my question is what types of jobs would be most worth while? I've been looking at local scribe positions, but overall i get the feeling that they're in high demand by fellow med school hopefuls. is research something I should be considering? hopefully some of you were in similar situations and could help me out (it'd VERY much so appreciated)!

Members don't see this ad.

Something to think about for point 1 is be willing to move anywhere. Most people have roots somewhere and don't want to leave those roots for what I'd call a "holding pattern" job. While I haven't really been looking at healthcare jobs (rather I'm looking for a means to survive), it's looking more and more likely like I'm going to leave my home-state as my B.S. degree appears to be more useful in other places. AmeriCorps is a great opportunity that I applied to too late for the program I was interested in.

Keep your options open and if you decide to go the med school track, you'll probably end up heading through some post-bacc program. But who knows, you could play your cards right and skip that.

I have a hospital job in an ER that has given me incredable experiance. I started out as a transporter and was able slide across (the hospital was union, which REALLY helped my chances) into the ER once a position came open. Wherever you start, show intrest in the medical aspect of your job. As a transporter I found a radiology tech that never mind sharing a little knowledge with me. Every day I learned something new. If you work in central supply, you can learn what materials are used throughout the hospital. Make the best whereever you are and it will pay off. Sometimes you have to be willing to do crappy stuff or put in time where you may not enjoy, but it will help!