1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Post your favorite gunner moment

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by southbelle, Apr 21, 2004.

1. southbelle

southbelle Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

This could be any instance which you witnessed truly outlandish behavior by a gunner. Or any interesting academic(or heck even nonacademic) encounters with a known gunner.

Mine would be late winter/early spring of last year. My undergrad hosts a few medical schools to have information days, and I decided to go to one of the meet and greet presentations for representatives from a top 20ish school in the southeast. I had already made the conversion from gunner to non-gunner about 6 months earlier so I knew I would probably be going to my state school, but I still wanted to go. After the presentation I spot a known gunner. She was another girl who I had cell bio with and was also in mcat review class. She probably had as much of the gunner spirit as I did, but not quite the results. I'm thinking she had a 3.9 gpa with a 32 mcat and some good ec's but nothing really standout. Anyway, she knew enough about me to know that I had much more research experience than her, more unique medical experience, and probably a perfect gpa.

Since we're standing right next to each other we have to talk to each other, and she actually just comes right out and asks "So what did you make on your mcat?". It seemed like she had actually been thinking about what I, a fairly unfrequent acquaintance, made on my mcat many months ago. The intrusiveness of the question caught me off guard, and I actually thought about asking her an equally inane question.It was an awkward moment.

I paused and said "27". I could actually see the relief and quiet sense of approval in her eyes. Shestarted to say something, but before she could I said "and then I took the Bio section". Priceless look from her at that point.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. willthatsall

willthatsall Unretired
    7+ Year Member

4. dookbloo

dookbloo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

there was one time, this person on SDN started a stupid thread about gunners and how she isnt a gunner anymore....and then guess what? everyone thought she was a gunner! HILARIOUS!

5. ventulus18

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i think most of us feel "relief" after reading this. i would assume that the rest of us are either worried or concerned.

6. pekq

pekq Gunner
    7+ Year Member

Everyone KNEW she was a troll. Bragging your high MCAT score isn't gunnerish behavior, it just means you've got self-esteem issues. We should all take pity on people who brag for their psychological problems.

7. jonb12997

jonb12997 I'm a doctor!!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    conversion? Hmmm... doesn't that mean a change is involved? ;)

8. DMBFan

DMBFan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I haven't taken the MCAT, but I don't get the last part of this story. It makes no sense to give like 3/4 of your score to someone...Sorry, perhaps it's my own ignorance....

9. Maxip

Maxip Member
    7+ Year Member

What you missed was the inherent mind game she was playing. See, she did SO WELL on the MCAT that she could give someone a believable score, even with a section missing! Isn't that just about the coolest thing you've ever heard? One can only infer that she scored at least a 40, in reality. I, for one, am thoroughly impressed. I think I can say for everyone that it is VERY clear that the OP is indeed a reformed gunner, and not at all trying to brag about anything. Bravo to the belle of the south!

10. dollarbincommon

dollarbincommon apple fritters are good
    7+ Year Member

I already posted the gunner experience that I had: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=103327

To me, a gunner is an attitude of superiority and degradation of other people. To put the gunner in her place, you don't show that you're better than her. You just give her a piece of humanity:

gunner: So what did you make on your mcat?
    you: Hi! How are you doing? *big smile* :D Were you in my so-and-so class? *continue grinning* :D :smuggrin:
    That'll show that she lacks proper human communication and courtesy/manner.

11. tautomer

7+ Year Member

You may want to take a look at your post again and then decide who's the gunner. ;)

12. mcjay

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The world needs ditch diggers too. ;)

13. TheFlash

TheFlash Playtime Is Over
    10+ Year Member

Wow, that's some cold-hearted bitch type stuff! May God have mercy on your soul.

14. indo

indo Feed me a stray cat
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    edit: i can't believe I typed that...what a pervert.

15. HooahDOc

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    After spending four years around premeds, I have come to many conclusions, at least within my dysfunctional population of subjects.

I have a much lower GPA (3.3) than most of the premeds I have had contact with (3.6+). However, some important differences between me and them:

1) I know that 12 * 20 = 240
    2) I know that if you use a broken ruler that starts at 30 instead of 0, you can subtract 30 from your measurements instead of spending 10 minutes looking for another ****ing ruler.
    3) I know that 271+40=311
    4) I can answer questions or reach conclusions without looking it up in a book.
    5) I can figure stuff out without asking for help or looking in a book.

Granted, a lot of the above is probably because of the hyper self consciousness of most premeds, but come on.

16. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

Lame Thread... :rolleyes:

17. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    you are always right...:)

18. JohnHolmes

JohnHolmes Large Member
    10+ Year Member

My 29 torches your 42.

JH
    :eek: :eek:

19. Ryo-Ohki

7+ Year Member

My favorite gunner moment was when I asked this girl how she did on the MCAT.

She said "27...... and then I took the Bio section"

20. oudoc08

oudoc08 Please pass the gas...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :laugh: :laugh:

21. Dumpy

Dumpy 1,000,000+ Posts
    5+ Year Member

In response to your signature... I believe he would want Ralph Nader in the White House.

22. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

CalBeE is the hottest SDN member! ;)

23. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

lol could you GASP be referring to the troll that is southbelle lol

Man, I wish SnS was around. At least he was funny compared to these n00bs.