Post Your Random Questions/Scenarios You Thought of While Studying for MPJE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kratos907

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured we could post random questions or scenarios we have thought of while studyig for exams but don't know the answer to, maybe someone else can help answer some of these, helping others out...Feel free to answer if yo uknow them, or post some of your own :D

I'll begin:

1. If a c2 has no strength indicated of the drug on prescription drug, can you call the prescriber and correct it and fill, or do you need a brand new prescription?

2. If a prescriber forgot to sign a prescription for a non-scheduled drug, what do you do?

3. What do you do with drugs that are about to expire? When do you start getting rid of them (Time period, like few days, weeks, months etc.)

4. Where do you display your pharmacy license and controlles substance registration? Can you file any of them?

5. What is the penalty for not completing CE on time?

6. Can a veterinarian or a dentist obtain drugs from a retail pharmacist? (If so, what form is required, and is there a limit to the amount?)

7. How do you fill a prescription, if the prescription calls for #90, and you have three 30 count stock bottles? (Can you open and put them in one bottle and put a label on that or dispense 3 unopened bottles, with alabel on each one, or a different method)?

8. If you caught a fellow co worker stealing a drug, who do you contact? ( board, dea, store manager)? <This one trueley seems like it would be a MPJE questions cause it seems all 3 could be correct haha>

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1. There is some confusion about this due to discrepancies in the DEA's published laws and guidance. The DEA's current recommendations are to follow state specific laws. State laws often allow modification or addition of drug strength. Check your state's CSA.

2. I'm not sure if there is a more elegant answer, but I would call the providers office and take a verbal script.

3. I think the only legal restriction is that drugs cannot be dispensed if the patient will not use the drug prior to it expiring. A lot of pharmacies take drugs off the shelves when they are 3 months from expiring because most scripts are written and dispensed for less than or equal to a 90 day supply.

(skipped 4 because I'm not sure. I think they have to be displayed)

5. I think this is state specific, but failure to complete required CPE usually results in a fine. The pharmacist would then be required to make up the deficient CPE within a time frame determined by the board.

6. I'm pretty sure you can as long as the prescription bottle is sold to the office and recorded as distribution or casual sale rather than it being dispensed to the office using a prescription.

7. I'm pretty sure you can do either. Some medications like dabigatran need to be dispensed in the original bottle, so those bottles should be labeled individually.

8. If it is a controlled substance, you need to contact the board and the DEA. If it is a non-controlled substance, you should contact the board. Store policy probably requires you to contact the store manager as well.

*all of my answers are based on pharmacy law in just a few states. I assume that it is similar to regulations in other places, but I can't guarantee it. Additionally, I am not an expert so some of my answers might be wrong or incomplete.

Members don't see this ad :)
Op and @owlegrad : This is a good topic, but probably should be moved to the Licensure and Exams topics for better exposure.
How would i go about moving the topic, or would it just be easier to copy/paste the 2 comments and start a new topic in that section?
I had hoped this would get more people into throwing in their random ideas/questions that others are too afraid to ask since they may think its a dumb question, or just have random people answer random peoples questions, making other random people more knowledgeable about random pharmacy law stuff... (random....).... haha..

How would i go about moving the topic, or would it just be easier to copy/paste the 2 comments and start a new topic in that section?
I had hoped this would get more people into throwing in their random ideas/questions that others are too afraid to ask since they may think its a dumb question, or just have random people answer random peoples questions, making other random people more knowledgeable about random pharmacy law stuff... (random....).... haha..
I'm pretty sure that there is no way for you to move the post. It has to be moved by a moderator. It has to do with pharmacy practice, so it's probably appropriate in this section as well. The mention of MPJE in the title is the main thing that would point to it going in with licensure and exams.

I can move it but I don't really think it is 'wrong' here. Besides it's nice to talk about something besides the job market every now and then.

Reactions: 4 users
Are prescribers (MDs, PAs, APRNs) etc allowed to leave a standing order with their RNs or other certified medical assistants while they are away?
For example- a MD is on holiday and you have a patient with severe migraine headaches come to your office saying if their meds are ready. At the same time a RN calls in an rx and also mentions that this is a standing order rx per protocol and the MD was not contacted at the point the rx was generated. Would you fill it?

What are your state's weird:
1. Nursing home pharmacy practices
2. Closed door pharmacies (and non-pharmacist access to pharmacy in non-24 hour situations)
3. Differences from Federal Schedule for Controlled Substances
4. Filing deadlines for change of address/name, change in PIC, number of CE hours and what kind, and recordkeeping limits. (Every state I have ever taking the MPJE has asked at least one question on the paperwork aspect.)

Just thought of another Q, and its a bit out there....:

If you are primarily work for Pharmacy A, and you are asked to fill in for Pharmacy B, but both pharmacies are the same Company (like same CVS) just in a different town, Can you place an order for schedule drugs C2-C5 at that store, and if so, whose DEA do you use, your own from your pharmacy, or the one at the current store you are in,... or do you just leave it be and the permanent pharmacist there complete the order the following day?