Post your Stupid AMCAS, Secondary mistakes here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tatabox80

Super-Duper Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I recently posted how I mistakenly called the hospital I had volunteered at the wrong name on my application and found that quite a few people have done stupid things like this on their apps. Let's hear some more :D

Members don't see this ad.

I cut and pasted out of a word document. I didn't think this was a dumb mistake until....I submitted my AMCAS and saw that all of my apostrophe and quotation marks had turned into question marks :mad:

Mine was one big paragraph, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
one of my activities says it starts 12/02 instead of 12/01. i'm not sure if that was my stupidity or an accident with the wheely thing on the mouse that changed the dropped down menu selection from 01 to 02.

I did that to. (cut & paste from word w/ question marks)
That has got to be the #1 mistake that close to all of us have made this year!
:mad:

I wondered about the one paragraph thing, so I called AMCAS. The rep told me they all look like that on our side. It actually transmits correctly!!

:love:

I submitted a secondary saying, "attached are my publications" and sent in just the letter....without the publications.

Wrote many of my secondaries from Costa Rica w/o spell check in English... needless to say when I checked out my essays when I returned to the states they were full of mistakes. To top it off, I was thinking in Spanish so my English sounded like this...

"When I had 15 years old, I lived in the house green..."

I once even forgot to change a word from Spanish to English!!

My amcas application has one of my activities lasting a 'negative' amount of time. Something like 12/02 to 11/01. Awesome.

Don't you hate it when you run spell check....and it goes thru because the misspelled words are real words, too. :rolleyes:

Get this.....instead of writing "does not," I put the space in the wrong place. Instead, I typed "doe snot." :oops:

Gross....I'll never look at Bambi again without that sinking feeling in my gut! :p

Cheers

Originally posted by redleft123
Don't you hate it when you run spell check....and it goes thru because the misspelled words are real words, too. :rolleyes:

Get this.....instead of writing "does not," I put the space in the wrong place. Instead, I typed "doe snot." :oops:

Gross....I'll never look at Bambi again without that sinking feeling in my gut! :p

Cheers

Doe Snot! That's hilarious! :laugh: :laugh:

on my secondary app to one school, i cut and pasted parts of another essay i had written for another school and i accidently left the other school's name in the essay. i forgot to change it and i didn't notice it until i wanted to use the same line for another essay. but i had already mailed it and it was too late. i had a happy laugh about that one.

Originally posted by wannabedoc81
I cut and pasted out of a word document. I didn't think this was a dumb mistake until....I submitted my AMCAS and saw that all of my apostrophe and quotation marks had turned into question marks :mad:

i saw the question marks and corrected them BUT i didn't press SAVE before submitting the application!!! so all my changes weren't applied!!!!:mad:

Originally posted by alisha75
on my secondary app to one school, i cut and pasted parts of another essay i had written for another school and i accidently left the other school's name in the essay. i forgot to change it and i didn't notice it until i wanted to use the same line for another essay. but i had already mailed it and it was too late. i had a happy laugh about that one.
Oohh! :eek: That's sounds like the ultimate 2ndary nightmare--I've thought @ this too. Hopefully, it wasn't one of your favorite schools. :laugh:

I have to constantly remind myself to use the find/replace function after cut & paste.

Originally posted by alisha75
i cut and pasted parts of another essay i had written for another school and i accidently left the other school's name in the essay. i forgot to change it and i didn't notice it until i wanted to use the same line for another essay. but i had already mailed it

Forgot to ask if you wrote, "___ Medical School is my first choice." :laugh:

Btw, I'm impressed that you didn't freak out & start a thread @ it like some of us would after doing that.