Postbac advice wanted, UPenn versus JHU biotech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CJhooper123

PGY ortho
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Trying to get some insight on postbac programs.

I graduated from a small, prestigious liberal arts school with a low GPA (cum 3.02) as chemistry premed. Finished all of my pre-reqs but now I am looking to improve my grades. My goal is to go to MD/DO school. I played a sport all 4 years of college and struggled my first 2 years (2.6). My last 2 years I averaged a 3.4. I have been working x 1 year as a medical scribe and am looking to move on. I am yet to take the MCAT, but have been accepted to UPenn's post bac program and John Hopkins master in biotechnology.

I understand that my odds for med school are low at this point, but I am really willing to work towards my goals. Any insight would be great. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get in the HSI concentration of the JHU biotech program, or the no concentration one?

The JHU biotech program

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It doesn't sound like you got into the HSI concentration of the biotech program. One of the greatest benefit of the JHU biotech program's HSI concentration is that you could get a committee letter of rec for your medical school application.

I just graduated from the JHU biotech program with no concentration and my experience was overall positive, but I was aiming to improve my resume to help me on the job market, I wasn't trying for med school.

See the benefits of the HSI program here:
http://advanced.jhu.edu/academics/graduate-degree-programs/post-bacc-health-science-intensive/

Last edited: