Postbac for low GPA but premed requirements done.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdtobhopefully

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need some insight on looking for post-bacc programs. Here's a bit of my background.

I am currently a student at the University of Michigan- Ann Arbor. At the end of my sophomore year, my dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoma and passed away at the end of my senior year. When he was sick, I missed a lot of school and in turn, my GPA fell quite a bit. I pushed back graduation and am currently maxing each semester hoping to raise my GPA. I have one semester left, and even if I 4.0, I'll still have only about a 2.8 GPA. My last 60 credits, however, should be near a 4.0.

Besides my GPA, my resume is pretty strong. I have been doing research in 2 different labs (Fetal Medicine, IVF, Endocrinology) and have a ton of clinical hours logged and am a primary author on a publication.

I have many clinical volunteer hours at 3 different hospitals varying in Pediatric Oncology/Hematology, Emergency, Fetal Medicine, Peds ICU, etc.

For the past 5 summers I have been a counselor at a Pediatric Oncology Camp.

Besides that, I have plenty of non-clinical volunteer hours through many different organizations.

I have executive board experience for two all 4 years.

I have been working as a Pharmacy Technician for the past year, which counts as patient-care hours.

I scored in the top 90th percentile on the GRE for both quantitative and verbal.

And I have letters of rec from a clinical pharmacy manager, one of the most published researchers in the world, a few professors, and my research PIs.

Again, my only downfall is my GPA, which only fell once my dad got sick. I am retaking orgo and biochem at a different, "easier" university. My ideal choice would be to stay at U of M for their Masters of Physiology program, but being one of the top programs, I'm nervous about being admitted. I have also looked at Wayne State, and MPH programs (although I heard those are much less influential unless you do epi or tox). I am also looking for a Masters of Science, I don't want any sort of certificate. I have all of the pre-med requirements done, just not with the best GPA. I obviously know I can write on my application why my GPA took a turn, but am still very nervous.

Any steps to greater enhance my application or any programs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.