RuKid23

5+ Year Member
May 20, 2013
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey everyone,

Tried to post in postbacc forum but received zero responses.

I am currenty in a postbacc at a university was looking to see if it is possible or looked down upon if I can add an additional class at another nearby university as non-degree seeking student within the same semester I am in my postbacc. My postbacc doesn't offer the class

Palmyra

2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I am by no means an expert, but my understanding is that it will depend on a lot of things. Are you replacing credits from your post bacc with this course at a different institution? Or just adding them on? What type of class is it? Also, some schools will not allow their students to take classes at other institutions except under special approved circumstances. I would suggest reading your school/program handbook and talking to an advisor or someone in your program's faculty that can help you. It may be no big deal or even beneficial, or it could get you in hot water with your school - it all depends.

Edit: Also - the reason you're wanting to add this class probably matters quite a bit as well.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
The OP's school doesnt offer the class but an adcom wont know that. still, I see it causing little problem other than the risk of too much work in the term when grades are what will matter in the end. what is the class?

OP
R

RuKid23

5+ Year Member
May 20, 2013
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Thanks for the quick responses guys. My program is not a formal postbacc but it's a damn good one. UMD-CP science in the evening, which pretty much allows you to take whatever class you want, although the program doesn't offer that many classes as wel as having sections for each course designated for SIE students. I am takin physics in the program and was considering possible taking maybe calculus or genomics or endocrinology. I can't transfer these courses to UMD it's just I wanted to take it to increase my postbacc GPA even further. If I'm not mistaken when you apply, all classes you take after undergrad is lumped in a postbacc GPA. Thanks again guys

Aug 16, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
Certainly not. Your school doesn't offer the class so instead of just saying 'oh well' you solve the problem. It would be nice if the class transferred to your post-bac transcript but not essential.