Postbacc or Undergrad Committee Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OGLoc23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've nearly completed all the prereqs as a postbacc and soon I can go through either my postbacc university's or undergrad university's committee process. Previous threads on SDN have said that committee letters often provide evaluations of students relative to other students from the same college, e.g. ECs typical of students from that college, difficulty of coursework, average GPA of pre-meds, etc. Given this, I'm unsure of how informative a committee letter from my postbacc university would be. I completed my prereqs there but was otherwise uninvolved.

Alternatively, a committee letter from my undergrad that provides the above information I think would give a better picture of my academic performance and extracurricular activities.

Does it matter who I get the committee letter from?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is a tough question. I guess you could go with either if you submit LORs from the postbacc school to your ug school and they'll include it in their letter. I know a few people who did formal postbaccs and they just went with the committee letter from the postbacc school since they had graduated from their ug awhile ago.

This is a tough question. I guess you could go with either if you submit LORs from the postbacc school to your ug school and they'll include it in their letter. I know a few people who did formal postbaccs and they just went with the committee letter from the postbacc school since they had graduated from their ug awhile ago.
I originally planned on using my postbacc's letter, but discovered that I'm still eligible for my undergrad's, so I'd like to use whichever would help me more. I suppose my issue is that I'm not sure what I'm getting from each letter -- I've read that some letters merely provide a summary of attached LORs while others are more evaluative of the student's academic performance and EC's. Do you think I should just contact both pre-health offices and ask what they include in their letters?

if you get a letter from only your UG my first question as adcom is why you did that over your more recent and directly applicable postbacc. Unless your UG will accept letters from postbacc profs and take them into consideration when writing a committee letter, you should get it from postbacc.

What do you recommend for applicants who qualify for their undergrad's committee letter but is doing a DIY postbacc? I am taking upper division Biology courses. My undergrad does accept letters from the postbacc.