Postbacc programs for premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrSunny1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any decent postbacc programs that don't require academic letters of recommendation? I need to find something soon for the fall as I have not been able to get into an SMP. I would even consider some continuing education undergrad courses or something like that.

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend moving your post to the postbacc or pre-med forum where there's much higher traffic and where more people might have better input for you. Have you taken all the science pre-reqs typically required for med schools? Usually the SMPs have similar requirements to med schools. If you haven't that could be why you didn't get in the SMP's. I'm not sure why you would do postbacc if you have otherwise taken all those basic science classes. You don't want to waste money by taking random continuing undergrad classes. I would sit down with a pre-med advisor at your local college and develop a plan. Maybe your best course of action at this point is to pursue a master's in any one of the biomedical science field where you can improve your credentials for medical school. without knowing more about your circumstances it's hard for us to provide useful advice. Again, you should repost your question in the pre-med or post-bacc forum. :luck:

I would recommend moving your post to the postbacc or pre-med forum where there's much higher traffic and where more people might have better input for you. Have you taken all the science pre-reqs typically required for med schools? Usually the SMPs have similar requirements to med schools. If you haven't that could be why you didn't get in the SMP's. I'm not sure why you would do postbacc if you have otherwise taken all those basic science classes. You don't want to waste money by taking random continuing undergrad classes. I would sit down with a pre-med advisor at your local college and develop a plan. Maybe your best course of action at this point is to pursue a master's in any one of the biomedical science field where you can improve your credentials for medical school. without knowing more about your circumstances it's hard for us to provide useful advice. Again, you should repost your question in the pre-med or post-bacc forum. :luck:

Thanks! I have already taken all the prerequisites for Medical School. I have a degree in Biochemistry. I am having difficulty getting letters of Rec because my undergrad degree is to low and I have been out of college for 2 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are two types of undergrad post-bacs, those for people who need to complete the required classes (not you) and GPA enhancers (you.) The AAMC website can point you in the direction of different post-bacs.

To answer your specific question, I think most post-bac programs will require LORs but both of mine were from research work experience, not from academics. You'd have to look at each individual program for their application requirements to see if you can get by without an academic recommendation.

Is there an SDN consensus on how it looks to retake UG classes?

After an unsuccessful (so far) cycle, I am thinking about reapplying in a year. My obvious red flag is a low uGPA. I have other things going on in my life that make me not want to relocate to do an SMP or a formal post-bacc. Do you guys think that simply taking UG classes at a local school (prestigious private university) to up my uGPA would be acceptable without doing a more formal program?

After an unsuccessful (so far) cycle, I am thinking about reapplying in a year. My obvious red flag is a low uGPA. I have other things going on in my life that make me not want to relocate to do an SMP or a formal post-bacc. Do you guys think that simply taking UG classes at a local school (prestigious private university) to up my uGPA would be acceptable without doing a more formal program?

Yes, but you have to get an awful lot of As to make much of a dent in your GPA.

From what I gathered on SDN, simply retaking undergrad courses in which you previously had bad grades will not help you at MD schools as they do not grade replace. Your old grades will still be considered at MD schools. However retaking classes and improving grades can benefit you at DO schools. People with low uGPA's either pursue a master's degree or do a SMP. The latter poses higher risks as poor performance will seriously raise doubts about one's ability to handle the academic rigor of med school and may effectively shut one out of med schools entirely. In addition, SMP degrees are worthless. If you get a master's degree in something more relevant, you can both impress adcoms with high GPA and get employment in case things don't work out right away the first time you apply. :luck: