Postbacc undergrad GPA and Grad GPA AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

206chinook

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
"just from a GPA perspective, an undergraduate level post bacc will both give you a separate line item for post-bacc GPA as well as increase your overall undergrad GPA for both AMCAS and AACOMS"

I found this and was wondering if there was any truth to it? I have entered all of my classes into the AACOMS app but i cant actually see a computed GPA until after I've paid and sent it off. I was wondering if anyone had experience with respect to how PB GPA is weighted. It's my understanding that if it is undergraduate level work (taken after a first BA, for example) then it is computed as a separate PB GPA, but it is also integrated into your total undergraduate GPA. Is this True?

A follow up would be with respect to John's Hopkin's Health Science Intensive Post Bacc program that grants a Masters degree. This is the only that i am aware of that has been marketed in this way. It seems deceiving, because if the coursework is taken leading to a graduate degree (MS) then how can it be considered in the Post Bacc GPA or undergrad GPA for AMCAS/ AACOMS? It seems the JHU program would NOT generate a PB GPA or do anything to raise an undergrad GPA, but would rather only generate a separate Grad GPA.

Any insight or experience with this? Appreciate the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Both have their own unique ways of incorporating the GPA into final calculations. You can only do your best in the classes and see what the magic formulas pump out!

1) I was wondering if anyone had experience with respect to how PB GPA is weighted. It's my understanding that if it is undergraduate level work (taken after a first BA, for example) then it is computed as a separate PB GPA, but it is also integrated into your total undergraduate GPA. Is this True?

2) if the coursework is taken leading to a graduate degree (MS) then how can it be considered in the Post Bacc GPA or undergrad GPA for AMCAS/ AACOMS? It seems the JHU program would NOT generate a PB GPA or do anything to raise an undergrad GPA, but would rather only generate a separate Grad GPA.
1) Yes, it's true.

2) In the wider academic world, any coursework taken after a bachelors can be considered "Postbac," but for AMCAS and AACOMAS purposes, coursework leading to a masters degree will appear on its own "Graduate" line. AMCAS does not merge this with cumulative undergrad GPA, but AACOMAS does, to create an "Overall" GPA.

Last edited:
So if I'm taking undergraduate courses with graduate courses should I add up both their units to count towards the minimum 90 units to apply? Will the undergraduate GPA be combined with the graduate GPA or will each show up separately close to each other on the application? I can see under cumulative undergraduate hours you add up the undergraduate units but to meet the 90 unit requirement can you add it with the graduate hours? Can you also add AP credits from high school towards the 90 units or would that depend on the school?

1) Below are sample grids that will appear on AMCAS and ACCOMAS applications respectively. So lets clarify this
2)All undergraduate courses you take after earning your first bachelors degree, that is not applied to a graduate degree, will be listed under post-bacc
3) All graduate courses you take that is not applied to an undergraduate degree program will be listed under graduate.

***Note that the key is both the course level (undergrad or grad) and what degree it is not assigned to (bachelors or grad)

4) if you take a graduate course that is used toward your first bachelors degree or any subsequent PB-bachelors degree, it will be counted towards UG or PB respectively.
5) AACOMAS is not clear on how they treat courses that are graduate level in a post-bacc certificate program. as these are not degree programs) Additionally there was some confusion at the time of their new system in 2015 whether SMP should be considered PB for purposes of GPA. I believe now that follow the same "not applied to undergraduate/graduate degree" rule that I listed above.

AMCAS and AACOMAS Grids Below (note separate PB and Graduate GPA lines)

View attachment 209566

View attachment 209567