POSTBACCALAUREATE INTRAMURAL RESEARCH TRAINING AWARD (POSTBAC IRTA/CRTA) Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted936268

Hi Guys,

I wanted to know the purpose of the NIH's post-bac intramural research training award and whether its something that is looked upon positively by ad-coms. Is it prestigious? Also, I'd like to know if i'd be a good fit for this program given the below background. Thanks in advance!

Background:
I am finishing my undergrad education in 3 years (started at the age of 16) and will, therefore, be the age of 19 when finishing. I have therefore been thinking of taking a gap year or 2 to get real-life experiences and felt this could be one.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't say it's prestigious but it is viewed positively for adcoms if you make the most out of it. In fact, a significant amount of candidates for MSTP programs have done a year or two at the NIH. It's a great program because there so many labs one can choose for the research interests and they have daily workshops and conferences on scientific news and career development. It is a great place to network. The only drawbacks are low pay (considering it's in Bethesda, Maryland) and that your experience at the lab is entirely based on you and your PI (i.e., some people hate, love or are somewhere in between about their labs)

For you, I think it's a great idea. While MD/PhD programs don't discriminate on age (unless it's under 18) it will increase your chances at various institutions because they want to see candidates are mature and knows exactly what they are getting into.

In terms of a good fit, this could benefit anyone: people with a lot of research experience or people who feel they need more research experiences.
There also other programs that are similar to the NIH PREP which is aimed at URM students. Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP) (R25)

Reactions: 1 user