Postbaccalaureate Premedical/dental Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluewei1025

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am TX resident and am currently an applicant this cycle but I have not hear back from any schools.

My DAT score are: AA/TS/PAT/RC/QR: 23/24/20/18/28

My average GPA from all three schools: BCP:3.22 Science: 3.36 Non-Science:3.59 Total: 3.43

GPA per School:
UTAustin: 3.24
UTSA(First year): 3.77
Community College (English/History/Government): 3.67

Around 80 shadow hours

I submitted my application in mid-May. I do not think I will be able to get in this cycle; therefore, I am trying to apply for the Postbaccalaureate Premedical/dental Programs to improve my GPAs since it was lower than the average. I searched that there are two schools have this program: UNT and Texas A&M, but I am not sure which one is better. Would like to hear any advices from you guys, thank you.

UNT: http://web.unthsc.edu/info/20004/gr.../master_of_science_degree_in_medical_sciences

Texas A&M: http://vetmed.tamu.edu/graduate/biomedical-sciences/non-thesis-option

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you super sure more schooling is what you need? Your stats seem good! Good DATs, okay GPA, sufficient amount of shadowing... unless you actually are interested in getting a masters, I say try to improve your application some other way during your "gap year" and apply again next cycle.

Haven't heard back as in no interviews or no acceptances yet? I'm super surprised if its interviews, since you submitted very early too.

Are you super sure more schooling is what you need? Your stats seem good! Good DATs, okay GPA, sufficient amount of shadowing... unless you actually are interested in getting a masters, I say try to improve your application some other way during your "gap year" and apply again next cycle.

Haven't heard back as in no interviews or no acceptances yet? I'm super surprised if its interviews, since you submitted very early too.

Hello,

Yea, I habe not heard back and interviews from any schools. I applied 3 in Texas and 10 OOS. Also, I got rejected by NYU on Monday and that's it. No other news. I dont know too. I thought my GPA is on the lower side or because of my RC score on the DAT? This is the second cycle I am applied. I did not heard anything back from the schools last year also, but I only applied 3 Texas school last year.

Thank you for your input =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys,

I am TX resident and am currently an applicant this cycle but I have not hear back from any schools.

My DAT score are: AA/TS/PAT/RC/QR: 23/24/20/18/28

My average GPA from all three schools: BCP:3.22 Science: 3.36 Non-Science:3.59 Total: 3.43

GPA per School:
UTAustin: 3.24
UTSA(First year): 3.77
Community College (English/History/Government): 3.67

Around 80 shadow hours

Thank you so much.
You can get into dental school with that GPA. You need to contact the admissions of each school that rejects you asking what they want to see improved on your application. You may be down the wrong path entirely. You may need to simply get 100-200 more shadowing hours. Reaching out to them is essential though because then you give them electronic record of their request of you with your following up successfully, demonstrating your ability to receive feedback well.

Hello,

Yea, I habe not heard back and interviews from any schools. I applied 3 in Texas and 10 OOS. Also, I got rejected by NYU on Monday and that's it. No other news. I dont know too. I thought my GPA is on the lower side or because of my RC score on the DAT? This is the second cycle I am applied. I did not heard anything back from the schools last year also, but I only applied 3 Texas school last year.

Thank you for your input =)
Your GPA and DAT scores are fine. The only thing I can assume that can affect you are: Your personal statement, LORs, and possibly the lack of community involvement.

Both are really good programs (tx resident). It just all depends on your location and how far you would want to drive. I personally would do A&M, my friend is in the thesis program and he loves it.