Postdoc Employment Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigdreamer3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

A bit ago I posted that I was having difficulties meeting the productivity requirement at my private practice postdoc forensic evaluation position. I thought things had gotten better, but only a few weeks have elapsed and my supervisor/boss seems to have continued expectations that I am repeatedly failing to meet (or so they stated).

In any case, they came to me today and stated that they will be switching how I'm paid from a W2 employee to a 1099 employee to "take the financial burden off of me." Instead of a required number of reports per month, I now will be paid on a by-the-report status. They said I would essentially be an independent contractor. However, I will retain health and professional insurance, access to the administrative services, supplies, etc.

Some quick googling has me questioning if this is okay. Anyone have any experience with tax and employment things like this?

Members don't see this ad.

switching how I'm paid from a W2 employee to a 1099 employee to "take the financial burden off of me." Instead of a required number of reports per month, I now will be paid on a by-the-report status. They said I would essentially be an independent contractor. However, I will retain health and professional insurance, access to the administrative services, supplies, etc.

I have no detailed knowledge/personal experience with such issues. That being said, from what I do know, I believe the IRS would have issues with this arrangement... I believe their website has guidelines on this stuff.

Also, sounds like you might need to be thinking about an exit plan.

See here for more info. I have seen several times where there may be a legit issues where folks are misclassified (they are told what hours to work, use supplies of the organization, etc.), but other times were folks would be 1099s.

Reactions: 1 user
1) I would NOT rock the boat on this. It really sounds like this was the “kind” option outside of firing you. (actually I would, but doing so would be highly self destructive).

2) it’s not really a 1099 position due to them providing the equipment etc. Iirc, there’s some weirdo classification for production based employees. Again, I wouldn’t mention this to your employers.

3) DM me, I can give you some pointers on the rest.