Postdoc or Ph.D (IMG), Prospects for ABIM Research Pathway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Absurdologist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Colleagues,

I have posted this on the general residency forum, but I think it could be more appropriate here:

I'm about to graduate from a European medical school and my plan is to pursue medical residency in the U.S. I haven't done any of the steps yet because I was busy with my studies, some research experience and publications. My plan is to start working on the steps right after I graduate - which I assume will take a year or even two.

In the meanwhile, I decided not to start residency here since I will not be able to finish it (assuming I will get accepted to a residency in the U.S in two years time).

I have always been interested in research and I had extensive research experience during my medical education, so I thought it could be a good idea to dedicate two or three years for research (while studying for the steps) and then apply for residency afterwards. This would probably extend my "gap" to residency by one year (from 1-2 to 2-3 years), but it will also provide me with some income to live on during these years.

At the moment, I have two options: one is from a top ranked European university for a 3-year Ph.D program that is fully funded with modest monthly stipend. The subject is more basic science in essence, but it is still intriguing to me and I will be working with patient samples.

The other option is a two-year research postdoc position in an upper mid-tier university hopsital in the states, in a lab working on animal models but in the sub-specialty I'm planning to pursue after my IM residency. The salary here is higher (around resident-level salaries). However, my fear is - and since this is going to be a "paid job" - is that it will be very intensive and I wouldn't have enough time to study for the steps.

I'm also read about the ABIM Research Pathway. I saw that most programs accept applicants who already have M.D/Ph.D degree, but some allow students with extensive research experience but no Ph.D to apply; offering them Ph.D training as part of the program. What are the chances of an IMG to get into one of these programs? Time-wise, what do you think would be the most appropriate track in my case?

Many Thanks,
Ab.

Members don't see this ad.

You already got answers on the other duplicate thread you made.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.