Postdoc timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fallen625

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question - how much time is it OK to ask to get back to someone regarding a postdoc offer? I have a few postdoc job interviews in the next few weeks but also submitted a bunch of other postdoc T/T job applications, and I am trying to figure out how to time everything so that I am not forced to take a postdoc without knowing about what's going with other applications.

Members don't see this ad.

Question - how much time is it OK to ask to get back to someone regarding a postdoc offer? I have a few postdoc job interviews in the next few weeks but also submitted a bunch of other postdoc T/T job applications, and I am trying to figure out how to time everything so that I am not forced to take a postdoc without knowing about what's going with other applications.

Everyone is on their own timelines, unless you choose a match type postdoc (e.g., neuro APPCN programs), so I'd simply get used to the idea that you will likely have to make a decision with a postdoc site not knowing your status at some other sites.

If you have a site that is your clear preference, and get an offer from a site prior to hearing back, you can always contact your preferred site and let them know that you have an offer and that you are interested in knowing your status at their site as you are very interested in the training opportunities. If they have reviewed apps, and you are their preferred candidate, they may make a counter offer. IF they haven't reviewed apps, they may just say that they do not know at the moment. Them's the breaks.

Reactions: 1 user