Postdoc UND (Feb 26 prep)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brain hugger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the postdoc uniform notification date rears its head, I'm curious how one prepares for it and whether there are things to keep in mind? This is what I have so far:

1) Take the day off
2) Have rank-ordered list ready; maybe even write down next to each site how long you can hold an offer (most sites have told me 4 hours max)
3) If 1st choice doesn't call and you receive offer, call 1st choice and ask where you rank?
4) If 1st choice doesn't extend an offer, can wait on 1st choice or call 2nd choice for an offer?
- Can only hold 1 offer at a time
5) Once you've accepted an offer, call and email all other sites to remove yourself from consideration

Questions:
1) Any potential hiccups to be aware of?
2) What else was helpful to know or do that day?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I took the day off but ended up going into work anyway. It wasn't like match day where you get an email and that's it. You could be waiting all day without hearing anything. You want to stay busy, however that happens. I also wanted to feel more "plugged" in, which I did at work. YMMV.

You may want to check appic rules, but my training director told me if you call your first choice for an offer after receiving an offer from a lower choice and they either reject you or tell you to wait, you cannot call your 2nd choice.

Also, my site let us keep our schedules empty and even closed a couple clinics on UND so we still go into work but don’t have anything clinical scheduled. Maybe your site would allow that too??

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, my site let us keep our schedules empty and even closed a couple clinics on UND so we still go into work but don’t have anything clinical scheduled. Maybe your site would allow that too??
That's what I'll be doing. Report writing, misc. webinars, etc.

Re: 4) I've read and re-read the guidelines (link) and I believe you can keep calling down your rank list to request a reciprocal offer if you receive an offer from your last choice site, for example, but you cannot ask several sites for reciprocal offers at the same time. IF you receive a reciprocal offer then you are expected to accept right away. The only problem I can see here is that if you call your first choice and they tell you to wait and you decide to wait. THEN, it doesn't make a lot of sense to call your second choice site and ask for an offer. Does that sound right?

I took the day off but ended up going into work anyway. It wasn't like match day where you get an email and that's it. You could be waiting all day without hearing anything. You want to stay busy, however that happens. I also wanted to feel more "plugged" in, which I did at work. YMMV.

Ditto. I went to internship that day, but only scheduled a few clients and worked on report writing.

That's what I'll be doing. Report writing, misc. webinars, etc.

Re: 4) I've read and re-read the guidelines (link) and I believe you can keep calling down your rank list to request a reciprocal offer if you receive an offer from your last choice site, for example, but you cannot ask several sites for reciprocal offers at the same time. IF you receive a reciprocal offer then you are expected to accept right away. The only problem I can see here is that if you call your first choice and they tell you to wait and you decide to wait. THEN, it doesn't make a lot of sense to call your second choice site and ask for an offer. Does that sound right?

Yes that makes sense! I re-read the guidelines and think you’re right. If I get an offer from site 4, I can call site 1. If site one straight up rejects me, I can call site 2. My TDs made it sound like if you get an offer from 4 and call 1 and they reject you, you can’t then call 2. Glad we got this squared away!

I've been reading the guidelines so much I'm starting to confuse myself. Let's say site 4 calls and I ask to hold. I then call site 1 and ask for a reciprocal but either they ask me to wait or are not open yet due to time differences. So I'm stuck waiting on them. In the mean time site 3 calls. Can I ask site 3 to hold & call site 4 declining the offer all while I'm really waiting to hear from site 1?

As I understand it, you can only hold one position at a time... but if you are holding a position and a more desirable site makes an offer you can hold it, but then need to immediately call and decline your lesser preferred site where you were holding an offer.

As I understand it, you can only hold one position at a time... but if you are holding a position and a more desirable site makes an offer you can hold it, but then need to immediately call and decline your lesser preferred site where you were holding an offer.

Thanks! That's what my understanding is but I wanted to double check.

I wish all sites would adhere to this.

Figured this would be the best place to ask... I have accepted a neuro post-doc offer after interviewing at INS (yay!), but my question is how to handle the sites participating in match. Would it be a curtesy to let those sites know I plan to withdraw from the match? Or is withdrawing from match adequate enough?

Reactions: 2 users
Figured this would be the best place to ask... I have accepted a neuro post-doc offer after interviewing at INS (yay!), but my question is how to handle the sites participating in match. Would it be a curtesy to let those sites know I plan to withdraw from the match? Or is withdrawing from match adequate enough?
First. Congratulations!!! Second. I think I would send an email just to formally thank them and let them know.

Reactions: 2 users