postdoctoral fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leilam364

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO you think it is worth doing a 2 year postdoctoral fellowship in a prestigious university in usa? which of them are more important:years from graduation or research?
thank you

Members don't see this ad.

yes exactly.do you think doing a post-doc in usa will help me finding a residency?
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
yes exactly.do you think doing a post-doc in usa will help me finding a residency?
thanks

It will help with connections especially if your work is in a more clinical area, with faculty who have medical school or hospital appointments. But your USMLE scores are probably far and away the most significant portion of your application. Some other things to consider:

- if you need a visa, some places won't help you
- if you don't have any US clinical experience, some programs won't look at your application
- if its been more than a few years since you've a) graduated from medical school or b) practiced medicine, many programs will not look at your application

So having a post-doc can be helpful, but in general, it doesn't make a significant difference in matching outside of the connections and publications it can provide you.

Thank you very much for assisting me.
the pb is that if i accept this fellowship i should apply in 2008 and this will increase years from graduation in my application from 4 to 5.at the other hand i know that since this fellowship is in a prestigiuos university, I will certainly have some publications after finishing that.(I am going to be involved in some clinical research,be able to attend the rounds,clinics).
I have anothere question.Do you think research in one specialty can help finding other specialties as well?