Posted on the SDN Facebook page today: Obese/unattractive medical students less likely to receive competitive residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The most I ever squatted was 225 and that was before I had kids. I’m a girl but will have to up the ante.
My high school wrestling coach gave us the rule of thumb "Bench your body weight and squat twice as much."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh man after I'm done with my MCAT I am upping the amount of cardio to make my cheekbones pop more. And then probably buying some exfoliating lotion for the 2 dark spots on my chin. Interview szn is here.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh man after I'm done with my MCAT I am upping the amount of cardio to make my cheekbones pop more. And then probably buying some exfoliating lotion for the 2 dark spots on my chin. Interview szn is here.
You’ll want a retinoid for that. Can I match derm now plz

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
My high school wrestling coach gave us the rule of thumb "Bench your body weight and squat twice as much."
There was a time in high school when I could bench more than I could squat lol

• Wow
There was a time in high school when I could bench more than I could squat lol

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Now we know how to dress for residency interview

Attachments

• Fake-muscle-shirt.jpg
    Fake-muscle-shirt.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
On the topic of photos:

Does our picture for medical school secondaries need to be waist up or face only shots?

Members don't see this ad :)
I hired a professional photographer and got a makeup artist for my med school application head shots.

Since ortho is one of my top choices, I’ve been lifting heavy. I want residency interviewers to see my muscles through my suits.

Perhaps you need to wear smaller, better fitted suits.

On the topic of photos:

Does our picture for medical school secondaries need to be waist up or face only shots?

Professional headshot

DIY hack: I was too cheap to pay for professional headshots so I just had a friend take my photo against a plain background. For the purpose of secondaries it's totally fine. Just thought I'd mention it for those of y'all who are now thinking "mann, now I need to get a professional photo taken" :rofl:

DIY hack: I was too cheap to pay for professional headshots so I just had a friend take my photo against a plain background. For the purpose of secondaries it's totally fine. Just thought I'd mention it for those of y'all who are now thinking "mann, now I need to get a professional photo taken" :rofl:
It's okay! I have friends that are insta famous so I'll just ask them to edit my photos

• Haha
Most max "squats" I see by med students are a giant lie. Most don't realize parallel in meet legal terms means hip crease below knee crease. They all squat about 4 inches high. Then when they have to hit depth suddenly their squats are a 100lbs lower. They then bench with a bounce or don't touch the chest. The only lift I trust from most is a a no straps deadlift. Because while you can use horrendous form to lift the weight, you can either do it or not do it. Hitching is another story but most non serious lifters don't do it to an extreme to help much. Here are my lifts, nothing impressive in powerlifting world, but it took me some work

BW: 173
335x1 max squat
305 atg pause squat
415 deadlift
240 pause bench
255 touch and go bench
130x5 ohp strict off upper chest and to lockout with no leg drive. This should be a given but clowns conflate a half rep or push press with the same thing.

Currently 167 after a rough third year. The only thing that has kept is the DL. Everything else is about 10% lower.

Most max "squats" I see by med students are a giant lie. Most don't realize parallel in meet legal terms means hip crease below knee crease. They all squat about 4 inches high. Then when they have to hit depth suddenly their squats are a 100lbs lower. They then bench with a bounce or don't touch the chest. The only lift I trust from most is a a no straps deadlift. Because while you can use horrendous form to lift the weight, you can either do it or not do it. Hitching is another story but most non serious lifters don't do it to an extreme to help much. Here are my lifts, nothing impressive in powerlifting world, but it took me some work

335x1 max squat
305 atg pause squat
415 deadlift
240 pause bench
255 touch and go bench
130x5 ohp strict off upper chest and to lockout with no leg drive. This should be a given but clowns conflate a half rep or push press with the same thing.

Currently 167 after a rough third year. The only thing that has kept is the DL. Everything else is about 10% lower.

Sir, this is a Wendy’s.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

335x1 max squat
305 atg pause squat
415 deadlift
240 pause bench
255 touch and go bench

My lifting days ended when I was 12 years old. My older brother took me to the gym to bench and didn't even spot me when I was lifting the 40 lb bar. Literally was about to cry as my life flashed before my eyes while keeping the bar an inch away from my chest.

• Haha
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I took a headshot of myself on my phone in a small corner at work with good lighting when noone was in the office
Same lol and then overlaid a white background in photoshop and made the picture too low resolution for anyone to tell. It seems to have worked out okay

Reactions: 2 users
Article: Unattractive and obese people don’t get the good residencies

SDN Pre-Allo response: So these are my weight lifting routines and this is how you maximize the beauty of your headshot

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Article: Unattractive and obese people don’t get the good residencies

SDN Pre-Allo response: So these are my weight lifting routines and this is how you maximize the beauty of your headshot
Gotta start preparing early for that match advantage

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Yah, that seems to be the general consensus across medical education.

Personal advantage > injustices
Don’t get me wrong, I conform to that very same system by being pretty. But still.
If you really want to makw a statement you could always wear a brown paper bag over your face for interviews and see how it goes

• Haha
If you really want to makw a statement you could always wear a brown paper bag over your face for interviews and see how it goes
I had a dream that I was accepted to my top school already but still had a Harvard interview scheduled. To stick it to the man, I showed up in an all turquoise suit with a Mohawk, raybans, and light up heelies.

• Haha

Now specializing in beauty sleep?
Silly question: Does just holding your MD technically allow you to perform any medicine? Like, are residencies legal requirements or are they just required by organizations/unhirable without one?

Silly question: Does just holding your MD technically allow you to perform any medicine? Like, are residencies legal requirements or are they just required by organizations/unhirable without one?
In most states with one year of residency you can get a medical license and do general practice. But that also means you're not board licensed in anything.

Last edited:
In most state with one year of residency you can get a medical license and do general practice. But that also means you're not board licensed in anything.
But technically, in most states, if you have your medical license it doesn't matter if you have a board certification or not, right? Because the boards are third party non-governmental, non-regulatory organizations. So, in some dystopian whatever, if someone has completed their intern year and received their medical license, they could feasibly open up a private practice as a Hollywood beautifier, or performing YOLO amputations, or whatever?

But technically, in most states, if you have your medical license it doesn't matter if you have a board certification or not, right? Because the boards are third party non-governmental, non-regulatory organizations. So, in some dystopian whatever, if someone has completed their intern year and received their medical license, they could feasibly open up a private practice as a Hollywood beautifier, or performing YOLO amputations, or whatever?
In CA, it will shortly be 3 consecutive years in a single specialty to get a license.
Currently, those who only have an intern year have difficulty getting hospital privileges and liability insurance. I've seen this type of isolation lead to Medical Board problems...

Reactions: 2 users

Not a problem for me. Going forward, I'll just lose a bunch of weight. I'll be in line with that guideline in no time.

As someone who hasn't applied yet, I need to ask these silly questions about application photos:

1. B&W or color or does it depend?
2. Head & shoulders or from waist up or does it depend?
3. Only required by secondaries?

As someone who hasn't applied yet, I need to ask these silly questions about application photos:

1. B&W or color or does it depend?
2. Head & shoulders or from waist up or does it depend?
3. Only required by secondaries?

1. Color
2. Head and shoulders
3. Only some secondaries

Reactions: 3 users
Uncommon =/= nonexistent.... coming from someone who was lucky enough to have several super rare unfortunate things happen. Lol
I mean...Rarity is the best pony so....

Edit: I have a 3 year old daughter. Don’t blame me for My Little Pony references. Blame the system.

This student at a T10 school told me that at least for the MD/PHD program, if all else would equal, they’d pick the more attractive person.

Honestly I think most people can at least look decent. If you look at athletes, even the ones who don’t have insane features look good because they’re so fit and eat well.