Posted on the SDN Facebook page today: Obese/unattractive medical students less likely to receive competitive residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess I meant non-physician persons.

That came off wrong.

Are there not separate admin people as the ADCOMs? Or at least initial reviewers?
The majority are required to be faculty, so...

I'm told that some places do have admin screeners. Why did I end up here!

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I guess I meant non-physician persons.

That came off wrong.

Are there not separate admin people as the ADCOMs? Or at least initial reviewers?

WUSTL has biographies for their admissions committee members on their website.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is what I was basing my opinions on...Not sure where I gained it though. Righteous, will change up a little.

I don’t think your strategy for secondaries needs to change based on whom you think is reading your application. You want to demonstrate that you’ll be a competent and compassionate medical student and physician.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
As far as admission committee composition goes, is it predominantly physicians, physicians and students, or some physicians, some students, mostly separate non-medically relevant admissions members?
At my school, it includes students, MDs/DOs and PhDs. A few Deans too. The wily old Admissions Dean will only vote to break ties, and even then, reluctantly.

Nah, no pudge here. Body fat percentage of 14%, squat 340, bench 180, clean 215.

I am fit, the beard just helps hide my adorable baby face so I actually look like a ‘man’ as opposed to somewhere around 16.

I see your numbers and raise you a 475 squat, 285 bench and 515 deadlift. Based on this study, I might just show up to II's in a slim fit black t shirt and let them guns do the talking ;)

Jk of course... maybe

Reactions: 1 user
Saw this thread late and just wanted to throw in my two cents. This is why I think fitness is a necessity to become the most successful version of yourself. Not only does it change other people's perception of you, but it can act as a serious confidence boost that'll make you look good and feel good in interviews and in any other interaction. Physicians especially should maintain some level of fitness as to not look like hypocrites. Telling a patient to make healthier decisions then popping your own hypertension medications when you leave the examination room isn't a good look :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
Physicians especially should maintain some level of fitness as to not look like hypocrites. Telling a patient to make healthier decisions then popping your own hypertension medications when you leave the examination room isn't a good look

I used to believe what you're saying, but my interactions with obese patients in a medical setting has led me to think otherwise. A lot of obese patients are afraid of going to the doctor's office or hospital because they don't want to be criticized or shamed for their lifestyle choices by a person who's been thin and healthy his entire life. I suspect that many obese patients would be deeply comforted to hear something like, "Trust me, I know that weight loss is challenging because I'm struggling with my weight right now, too. But hopefully with a lot of work, we'll both reach our goals. Here's what I've been doing so far: blah blah blah blah." If presented in the right way, the weight loss talk wouldn't have to be hypocritical at all. In fact, it could actually serve to be quite comforting and empowering for a patient who's terrified of being judged and embarrassed.

I've come to believe that being an overweight (or formerly overweight) physician could actually serve as an asset, in that it would allow one to be better able to relate to the large segment of the American patient population that struggles with obesity. The same reasoning applies to smoker or ex-smoker physicians, who can better empathize with a patient who's struggling to quit smoking.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Recently came across photos of one my state school’s ENT residents. All of them are very attractive. One female resident could probably have gone into modeling if she wanted to. The bias is real, but I wouldn’t necessarily say it is wrong.

I used to believe what you're saying, but my interactions with obese patients in a medical setting has led me to think otherwise. A lot of obese patients are afraid of going to the doctor's office or hospital because they don't want to be criticized or shamed for their lifestyle choices by a person who's been thin and healthy his entire life. I suspect that many obese patients would be deeply comforted to hear something like, "Trust me, I know that weight loss is challenging because I'm struggling with my weight right now, too. But hopefully with a lot of work, we'll both reach our goals. Here's what I've been doing so far: blah blah blah blah." If presented in the right way, the weight loss talk wouldn't have to be hypocritical at all. In fact, it could actually serve to be quite comforting and empowering for a patient who's terrified of being judged and embarrassed.

I've come to believe that being an overweight (or formerly overweight) physician could actually serve as an asset, in that it would allow one to be better able to relate to the large segment of the American patient population that struggles with obesity. The same reasoning applies to smoker or ex-smoker physicians, who can better empathize with a patient who's struggling to quit smoking.

Completely agree as a former overweight individual. I've lost over 30 pounds on two separate occasions (initially lost weight then struggled with regaining it years later) so I know the struggle and totally understand what you're saying. It's not that I believe all physicians should be in peak physical condition, I just think more need to prioritize their own health and habits which will translate into helping patients do the same.

I've had experiences with physicians who tell patients to quit smoking and then five minutes later talk with their buddies about the cigar they're looking forward to smoking after work. Their advice just comes off as insincere and ineffective because they don't truly believe what they say.

I think we can both agree that a physician who bodybuilds on the side and one struggling with their own weight problems but making the necessary changes can both give valuable advice as long as they both walk the walk instead of just talking the talk.