meowfish6868

5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I found out a few weeks ago that a case report I wrote up during my IM rotation was accepted for a poster presentation in a few months. I'm just about to start a new rotation, so I emailed the clerkship coordinator and director once I got the acceptance notification to request an excused absence (I gave at least the minimum required notice as stated my school's student handbook). Unfortunately, an exam is scheduled for the same morning as my poster presentation, so I've been waiting for the clerkship director to decide if I could make up the exam at a different time.

When I followed up with the clerkship director, they spent ~3 minutes discussing how frustrating it'd be to accommodate my absence before saying, "Well, I want you to present your research if it's absolutely necessary, but I'll leave that decision up to you." The response seemed more like when your SO says, "Do whatever you want", but they really mean, "you better not do it :annoyed:." I do have a co-author who could present, but we originally decided that I'd be the presenter because I haven't done one before and I'm first author on this case report.

Given the tepid response, I'm leaning towards not doing the poster presentation. On one hand, I'm aiming to get into a surgical subspecialty, so I'm not sure whether an presenting an IM case report would be worth my clerkship directors ire. OTOH, this would be a good experience for preparing me to present my specialty-related research later on. Additionally, my step score is a smidge below the mean for my desired specialty, so I could probably use more research experience on my application.

TL;DR: Should I do the presentation if it's going to ruffle the clerkship director's feathers? Sorry for the lengthy post, but I'd appreciate some input :)

Dermpire

2+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I found out a few weeks ago that a case report I wrote up during my IM rotation was accepted for a poster presentation in a few months. I'm just about to start a new rotation, so I emailed the clerkship coordinator and director once I got the acceptance notification to request an excused absence (I gave at least the minimum required notice as stated my school's student handbook). Unfortunately, an exam is scheduled for the same morning as my poster presentation, so I've been waiting for the clerkship director to decide if I could make up the exam at a different time.

When I followed up with the clerkship director, they spent ~3 minutes discussing how frustrating it'd be to accommodate my absence before saying, "Well, I want you to present your research if it's absolutely necessary, but I'll leave that decision up to you." The response seemed more like when your SO says, "Do whatever you want", but they really mean, "you better not do it :annoyed:." I do have a co-author who could present, but we originally decided that I'd be the presenter because I haven't done one before and I'm first author on this case report.

Given the tepid response, I'm leaning towards not doing the poster presentation. On one hand, I'm aiming to get into a surgical subspecialty, so I'm not sure whether an presenting an IM case report would be worth my clerkship directors ire. OTOH, this would be a good experience for preparing me to present my specialty-related research later on. Additionally, my step score is a smidge below the mean for my desired specialty, so I could probably use more research experience on my application.

TL;DR: Should I do the presentation if it's going to ruffle the clerkship director's feathers? Sorry for the lengthy post, but I'd appreciate some input :)
How much power does the clerkship director have over your grades, evals, reputation? If they have the power to hurt you in any one of those areas, I would forget about it. If they can't touch you, I'd absolutely go present your poster.

dr zaius

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Honestly I wouldn't push too hard if someone else can present it. It can still be a bullet point on your CV.

Reactions: meowfish6868
About the Ads
OP
meowfish6868

meowfish6868

5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How much power does the clerkship director have over your grades, evals, reputation? If they have the power to hurt you in any one of those areas, I would forget about it. If they can't touch you, I'd absolutely go present your poster.
I don't think the director grades us directly, but I think they're also responsible for compiling evals so I probably won't risk it.

P.S. thank you guys for your input!

mistafab

2+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2015
Status
Medical Student
My suggestion is have your co-author present. The line on your CV is the same, however, you can be sure you aren't burning any bridges. I would only really push for presenting it if you didn't have anyone else that could (or were the only person on the project).

Reactions: Rei02sDinnerParty

Syncrohnize

PGY-1
7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Have the other person present. It makes no difference outside the very minor experience and if you do this, you may end up making your study period for your exam or next exam if there's a inconvenient make up date more difficult. I would say clerkship directors who simply compile evaluations and assign you a grade try to give you the benefit of the doubt, but I don't know this specific person.

Perfect Hair Day

Grapes of Wrath, Chocolate Ice Cream, Johnny Cash.
2+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2016
The Pit
Status
Medical Student
Honestly I wouldn't push too hard if someone else can present it. It can still be a bullet point on your CV.
Often times, conferences will require the first-author to be able to be in attendance in order to present the poster. My institution has a rule in place that students attending a conference to present work are automatically granted an excused absence. Whatever your rotation is, chances are you're useless to the team anyway - your absence will not need to be "accommodated".

About the Ads