Poster Presentations as an RA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCPremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been working in a lab for five months now and I'm just finishing up a project I planned that yielded some nice positive results. I'd like to potentially present my data in a poster but have yet to discuss this with my PI. I have looked around and most conferences require you to be members of their professional associations, and most of those associations require you to be an undergrad, grad student, or phd scientist.

But having just graduated recently, and only working as an RA/lab tech i'm not in any of those categories. would i be able to submit the poster so long as my pi is the last author? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Members don't see this ad.

What did you find in 5 months that could possibly warrant a poster? I'm just legit curious is all

And not being any of the above things you mentioned doesn't mean anything at all, your PI would help set you up with all the paperwork to get that happening.

I created a poster for a couple of conferences that took my data and combined it with the graduate students I work with. I presented it at two undergraduate conferences. Their names were included on the poster is all.

I'm answering you because I've only been on the team for about 6 months. Still worth putting on my AMCAS though for sure.

I've been working in a lab for five months now and I'm just finishing up a project I planned that yielded some nice positive results. I'd like to potentially present my data in a poster but have yet to discuss this with my PI. I have looked around and most conferences require you to be members of their professional associations, and most of those associations require you to be an undergrad, grad student, or phd scientist.

But having just graduated recently, and only working as an RA/lab tech i'm not in any of those categories. would i be able to submit the poster so long as my pi is the last author? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I work in a lab as an RA, graduated a long time ago, and don't have a graduate degree. I've presented posters at more than one conference as an 'undergrad'. Just talk to your PI.... no one at any of my conferences has even asked/ given a damn about what category I was in.