PostGraduate Education in India.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikramjafri

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i would like to do Cardiology in India.
I will be done with MB,BS.Housejob aswell(Pak)
Is that all there is required for cardio in India or what are the other requirements.
Thanks.
Mikram

Members don't see this ad.

Most of us on this forum are students in the US and canada. Very few students are in india...
isn't there information abt the program available on the website of the univ's?

U might wanna check INDIAN MED STUDENT Forum..or ask up there :)

Members don't see this ad :)
desikudi said:
U might wanna check INDIAN MED STUDENT Forum..or ask up there :)

You have to secure your MD seat in Internal Medicine. Do three years PG training, followed by securing a DM seat in Cardiology. To get each of these admissions, there are admission tests you must take pass. As a non-Indian citizen, you will have to apply as an NRI/Foreign category. This means you should expect to pay a lot of rupees for your seat. There are many many enterance tests in India for PG seats. Is your degree even recognized in India?

I am quite sure you will be one of the,if not THE,first student from your country in India for his higher education for quite some time.

BDS-DMD said:
I am quite sure you will be one of the,if not THE,first student from your country in India for his higher education for quite some time.
nope..there are many pakistani Phd students at punjab university...

mikramjafri said:
Is that all there is required for cardio in India or what are the other requirements.
Thanks.
Mikram
hi.....u will be eligible under Foreign graduate students quota.......first you need to find out if MBBS from Pakistan is recognised by Medical council of India.If yes,You will have to write exams to get into M.D. medicine and later D.M...cardio or cardiothoracic surgery.Try contacting PGI,Chandigarh...JIPMER..Pondicherry....or AIIMS....or Aligarh Muslim University,Aligarh....hope this helps...

mikramjafri said:
Thanks.
Mikram

btw , if u r comimg to get MD & DM ....welcome to the hell on this world ....

nokia said:
btw , if u r comimg to get MD & DM ....welcome to the hell on this world ....

???

It's not that bad

retroviridae said:
???

It's not that bad
he is at KMC....they suck life out ......life is not easy there...

meetlife said:
he is at KMC....they suck life out ......life is not easy there...

Not really. I am from Manipal. Unless M'lore is much worse, it is no worse than here in the US. PG is not easy, period. Some unit cheifs worse than others, but all in all, it's not that bad.

retroviridae said:
Not really. I am from Manipal. Unless M'lore is much worse, it is no worse than here in the US. PG is not easy, period. Some unit cheifs worse than others, but all in all, it's not that bad.
hey....I am from mangalore...... which batch are u from........

retroviridae said:
. As a non-Indian citizen, you will have to apply as an NRI/Foreign category. This means you should expect to pay a lot of rupees for your seat. There are many many enterance tests in India for PG seats. Is your degree even recognized in India?

I think only indian nationals are eligible for various national or state level PG entrance tests. I am not sure about private institures though. But think chances for foreign nationals who r not NRIs the chance are very rare.

MCI doesnt recognise any other foreingn degree except MBBS from nepal which recognises indian medical dgrees in return. even an US MD is not recgnised in india. I recently read about a group pakistani hindu doctors who had been forced to flee pakistan appealing to supreme court to recognise their degrees in India so that they can practice here.

Hi!
I'm new to this student doctor forum.
I'm born & raised in Canada, and I'm almost finished 3rd year medicine at Dalhousie University in Canada.
I've spent two summers in India - one in Hyderabad, and one in Delhi - and subsequently, I've fallen in love with the country. And someone there, actually.
Anyway, my dream is to move permenantly to India, and practice there. I'm interested in working in the area of women's health and HIV/AIDS. I would like to do my residency/postgraduate training in India, as crazy as it sounds. People advise me that it would be best to get all my training done in Canada, but I think that two advantages of doing PG training in India would be (1) I wouldn't face so much trouble in terms of getting licensed through the Medical Council of India if I had my PG training there and (2) I would be trained in the environment that I would later work in.
Does anyone have any advice about particular PG programs that I might look into? Am I the only medical graduate in the world who is wanting to go the "other way", i.e. from Canada to India? Furthermore, does anyone know of any programs that might allow me to do PG training in India while making a little bit of money to help pay off my huge student loans?
Very appreciative of your help!

To Indian Dreamer

I would strongly suggest you that you finish your studies first in where you are, and then come to India for doing whatever you want to do. This Teenage Sanyaas thoughts do cross your mind now, but 10 years down when you'll start thinking about getting a family and having a life, you will find out that the 500$ permonth worth of job in India after finishing post graduation and working on HIV won't come close to pay for your kids' education. Then you'll want to run back to Canada or the US to make some money, and they'll not recognize your postgrad studies or your charity work back here in the woods, and will ask you to go for an Registration examination when you are least apt for it.

Think practical- don't burn bridges behind you. Every other head on this forum hasn't flied off to USA because Dawood Ibrahim would cut a hole in their head if they stayed in India.

If you have a Canadian postgrad degree, there will be many institutes here that would be happy for you to work with them for whatever medical or charity work you want to do.

wow, a hit of reality...

I want to go India for a year-term of missionary work..

The only missionary work that you can do is educating people. For every qualified doctor in India, there are atleast 10 quacks practicing around him. I know many qualified doctors who have done their specialties throwing parties to these quacks so that they might refer some of their patients to him. People are happier with quacks- they are long established and they know the pulse of the masses.

Thanks.
Mikram

I have recently cleared the FMG exam in India and so I know 4 sure that you can only appear 4 this exam if u r an indian citizen.... so i think u will have to apply as a foreign national....