1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

postgraduate education

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by AviatorDoc, Apr 26, 2007.

1. AviatorDoc

AviatorDoc fizz ee at' rist
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    On the one hand, I am extremely pleased with all of the new schools that have recently opened. It is a testament to the osteopathic profession that we are able to move ahead and fill in the gap while our allopathic bretheren are caught up in red tape when trying to add just 10 more students to their classes. While the education models could be called "innovative" at best, let's assume for a moment that these future osteopaths have received as rigorous basic science curriculum as any "traditional" school.

What then? Where will they be trained afterward? Will schools like ATSU partner with hospital corporations to build their own facilities? Will DO's ultimately "kick out" FMGs from previously held allopathic residencies? Will the AOA begin approving "preceptor" style residencies? Are there enough good residencies out there (MD + DO) to support all of these new grads?

My fear is that a rush of new residencies without proper foundations will only provide a watered-down experience. DOs, now more than ever, cannot afford to take a "step back" in regards to public perception. A DO finishing a rural-based FP fast-track program should be as sharp, if not sharper, than an MD FP finishing from Johns Hopkins. Will this be the case?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There has always been and will be (at least for the forseeable future) a lack of quality Osteopathic post graduate training opportunities. This is evident in the applications and match rates at programs.

How is it that one osteopathic program can easily get 15 applicants per spot while another only fills 20% of their internship year?

Of course this happens everywhere in the MD world but many of those programs are filled with FMGs.

As DOs we cannot afford to be content with mediocrity. If we dont want to be better and push ourselves to be better then we will always be a second choice for most. Until then "DO" will always be synonymous with "GP" or "FP".

4. BMW19

BMW19 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There are still many more positions than there are students. The problem is is that no one wants to go into PRIMARY CARE. It's all Optho and Ortho or Derm or Rads.......blah blah. Believe me I am not spouting the DO FP rhetoric but there are plenty of IM/FP/Peds slots. I for one never understood why EM is not considered primary care, you don't get much more primary care than the front lines!!

BMW-