Posting my stats, asking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cal212

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.6 GPA at a large state university, 36 MCAT, 1 year working for a home health care company, obtaining phlebotomy certification, no research Worked 10 hrs a week during school, lots of community service. My roomate and I were caught by our RA with a bottle of tequila in the dorm (can't say I have a lot of love for the guy, now :rolleyes: ); it's on my record, but no criminal charges.

What are my chances? If I don't get in, what should I do? Does anybody have any suggestions?

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

cal212,

I would definitely apply, your stats are great! I don't think that the tequila incident would keep you out of med school
(someone correct me if I am wrong!)

Good luck in the process!!

:) SPUNKY

Hi there-

First of all, I want to say congratulations on your stats. While a high GPA and MCAT can't guarantee you a seat in med school, it sounds as if you've also had some extraordinary community/clinical experiences in addition to doing well academically. This will appear very favorably to a committee! Way to go!
Secondly, do not let what happened with your RA allow you to hesitate in applying to medical school. I think the stats on how many premeds were caught drinking by their RA would be quite astronomical if one could ever compile them all. If you were given an MIP or some other type of misdemeanor then you would probably have to do some explaining on your apps. However, since it was only the RA who was involved, I would think that you'd be just fine. You just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and hey, maybe the rest of us were just lucky :rolleyes:
I wish you the best in applying and hope this post helped you to feel more confident in doing so. Take care and good luck!

Julia

Members don't see this ad :)
In all honesty, I think the tequilla incident would be an interesting topic during an interview, depending on who interviews you. Try and take it with a laugh and don't let them see that it bothers you. Also, you might want to mention how it was an immature time period/phase that you were going through and you have thus moved on.

cal212,

I wouldn?t worry too much about being caught with tequila. I have a misdemeanor on my record and I have received secondaries and interview invitations. Ohio was the only school that wanted copies of the court recorders before they would send me a secondary.

-Justin

I agree with the above posts. I friend of mine had a similar incident, and I don't think she was questioned about it. If you are, just state that it was a mistake, and move on; Don't dwell on it either in your interview or your essay. Maybe address it in a sentence or two in your essay.