Posting on behalf of niece - does Russian Lit fulfill the english requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted697308

Entering first year premedical student who would like to know this! I took English 101 and 102 when i was in her shoes so didnt know the ansewr

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
no. i was fussing about it some time ago myself. it does not work from what i've found in old threads

The issue with fulfilling a prereq from a course that is slightly different from the listed requirement is they are not formally checked until after you have accepted and are now in the pre-matriculation phase. Thus if the prereq is not accepted nor waived you can be up the creek without a paddle. While any literature course from an English Department will likely be accepted at those schools that require a year of English, some medical schools require course that have extensive writing, While this is likely a low risk issue, there is always a possibility the one school you get an acceptance will be the once school that wont take it. Therefore, I advise all starting premeds to get all the "traditional" premed courses no matter what and eliminate any risk at all
It counted for my friend "Scandinavian Literature" at UC Berkeley (and fulfills the university's reading requirement) which is why I ask!

Yes it is low risk but a risk none the less. WIth 60% of applicants rejected and another 20% getting a single acceptance do you want to be in the position of getting off a waitlist late for a single acceptance only to discover that they wont take the course for English requirement and force defer you or worse
Since you mentioned it, is it even likely that someone pulled from the WL who was not permitted to matriculate due to a prereq deficiency would even be allowed to defer? This sounds more like winning a raffle and then being told that you didn't get the prize because you weren't present when your number was called.

It counted for my friend "Scandinavian Literature" at UC Berkeley (and fulfills the university's reading requirement) which is why I ask!
Hi! n=1 but my Korean Literature course at UC Berkeley didn't count for most schools' English requirement. I took other writing intensive courses which counted for the requirements but imo it's best to be on the safe side. I'd recommend courses in the College Writing or English departments just so your niece won't have to be scrambling to save a syllabus from the Russian Lit class if the school she gets into 4+ years from now asks for it.

Last edited: