Postings after residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pointodr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a long time lurker and am considering the HPSP scholarship. I have done quite a lot of research and am relatively well informed as to the pros / cons. One thing I want to learn more about, however, is how life will look post residency. For Army and Navy, what are the potential postings for someone coming out of a surgery residency? Is it possible / probable that I could remain at one duty station for my entire 5y payback (not including deployment, obviously)?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am a long time lurker and am considering the HPSP scholarship. I have done quite a lot of research and am relatively well informed as to the pros / cons. One thing I want to learn more about, however, is how life will look post residency. For Army and Navy, what are the potential postings for someone coming out of a surgery residency? Is it possible / probable that I could remain at one duty station for my entire 5y payback (not including deployment, obviously)?

Thanks
This is a difficult one to extrapolate but the best answer is that you have no way of knowing where you will be posted upon residency graduation. You not only won't know but will have a minimal amount of control, outside of letting HRC know what your preferences are. You could end up in Baghdad ER or West Point. Not only do you not know, but your ability to moonlight will be controlled by your commander and they are not obligated to allow you to do so. Good luck getting a civilian job when you haven't operated in 2 years. And you are highly unlikely to spend 5 years in one spot until you are a full bird, so that point is moot.

Thanks
Depends on which surgical residency. Depends on which other people in your field want to stay at their current duty station, and how well they set themselves up to do it. And depends on where the military decides they need your specialty. Basically, there's no telling!

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile