Option 1 or Option 2

• Option 1 (Don't Postpone Graduation)

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Option 2 (Study for MCAT, you'll still have 3 semesters to graduate)

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
May 10, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm planning on applying to medical school this coming cycle (in June) to matriculate in Fall 2015. The way I'm looking at it I have two options.

Option 1: Finish my courses and graduate in May (Spring 2014). Haven't done much MCAT studying so I would study from May to like July/September and take the MCAT in September. Schools wouldn't get my score until October.

Option 2: Take one or two classes this summer and study for the MCAT from now until May, take it in May, and schools would have my score in June a few weeks after applications open. Then take my remaining courses and graduate in the Summer or Fall 2014.

What would you guys suggest?

AlexMack12

I have no idea what I'm doing.
7+ Year Member
May 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
No matter how stellar an applicant you are, applying early will more often than not give you at advantage at most schools. Since most places won't consider you "complete" for application review until you have submitted all components of your application (which includes your MCAT score), you're better off with any option that will allow schools to receive your MCAT score as early as possible. Good luck!

Reactions: Rik1111

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
Does sound like you've got a good argument for postponing graduation -- that is, if you feel you'll need the lighter class load to study effectively for the MCAT. The later graduation date will have a far smaller negative impact (virtually none) than a later or lower MCAT.

Reactions: Rik1111

Life of the Party!
Aug 9, 2012
Inside a black hole
I'm planning on applying to medical school this coming cycle (in June) to matriculate in Fall 2015. The way I'm looking at it I have two options.

Option 1: Finish my courses and graduate in May (Spring 2014). Haven't done much MCAT studying so I would study from May to like July/September and take the MCAT in September. Schools wouldn't get my score until October.

Option 2: Take one or two classes this summer and study for the MCAT from now until May, take it in May, and schools would have my score in June a few weeks after applications open. Then take my remaining courses and graduate in the Summer or Fall 2014.

What would you guys suggest?
Well, since you decided to apply the coming cycle, Option 2 is your best bet. An early app is better

Ace-Co-A

As & Is
5+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2012
Port-au-Prince
Status
Medical Student
@TheJourney

I don't really understand this: "...so I would study from May to like July/September and take the MCAT in September (Italics mine)."

Do you mean you would study until July and then test in September or study up until the time of the test in September? I don't understand the backslash.

It seems risky to apply without knowing your MCAT score first, but people have done this and Option 1 delays the application process too much. I recommend that you study your hardest for the MCAT and go with Option 2.

nemo123

5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Go with option 2. Getting your app in early is important.

My other question is... What is your GPA at this point? If you can benefit from an extra semester of classes to boost your GPA, it might be better to take more time to graduate.

darkjedi

how did this get here I am not good with computer
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2009
Whatever you choose, just make sure your application is complete with your MCAT scores and ready for review by end of June. Your disadvantage in the process grows for every week you postpone after that.

MrTaco92

5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I vote option 2. But if you're open to a new option I'd recommend graduating this semester, studying for the MCAT over the summer, and taking an extra gap year to earn some money or whatever. That way you won't be cramming parts of your application in last second. You'd also have time for a retake til January of 2015 if you're not satisfied with your MCAT score, and you'd still be able to apply ASAP June 2015.