Postponing Graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

no1fstrnme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior in college and I plan on taking a year off to work in a hospital before I attend medical school, but I would like to start my year off now instead of this summer.

This would mean I would have to take next semester off of school in order to work. I would then return to school in Spring 2013 and finish my degree during that semester. This plan is effectively postponing my graduation for one year.

The question is would this plan hurt my chances of getting into medical school? I would be doing nothing more than cut-and-pasting Spring 2012 into Spring 2013, but I am unsure how Medical School Admissions will view this course of action. Should this plan be avoided at all costs, or is it perfectly reasonable?

Members don't see this ad.

well depending on your loan situation and your school situation as they might not let you do it, i can't imagine why you wouldn't just finish it. your loans will restart and what if you never go back. and i know people say they will, but as you get older and more into real life, it gets harder and harder.

I've checked with the school and it's perfectly fine from their end. People do this sort of thing all the time. It's just usually for medical reasons.

And of course I would go back to school and graduate. I would never even consider discontinuing school permanently.

I have two reasons for this:

1) So that I can gain clinical experience before I apply to medical school and not after. This could help my application.
2) To use my last season of eligibility for track. I would likely be All-American under this plan and this has been a goal of mine for a long time.