Erasmus

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2005
The Library
Status
For those of you who have applied (or will apply next cycle), what - if anything - do you say about your application to medical school and the potential days you'll have to take off for interviews and such?

I'm currently looking into some jobs (say teaching for example) and I feel badly not telling them that I could only be there for a year. On the other hand, my crystal ball has been giving me pretty crappy predictions, and I don't want to be an unemployed shmuck for the next year and a half.

So, do you mention it in the interview? Not tell them at all and just ask for interview dates off w/out reason? Or do you bring it up when you've got the acceptance letter in your hand?

Geez, this post sounds girlie. :thumbdown: :cool:

Thanks.

UTKB

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I was in the same situation. I did not say anything because I didn't want to risk my job. Take your days off and don't give an explanation. Give 3 weeks or a month notice if you do get in. If you don't get in, then no harm done.

OP
Erasmus

Erasmus

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2005
The Library
Status
UTKB said:
I was in the same situation. I did not say anything because I didn't want to risk my job. Take your days off and don't give an explanation. Give 3 weeks or a month notice if you do get in. If you don't get in, then no harm done.
Good deal. That's what I was thinking, but didn't know if it was rude of me to "pull that".

Thanks!!! :)

ZAZA67401

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Miami
Status
Erasmus said:
For those of you who have applied (or will apply next cycle), what - if anything - do you say about your application to medical school and the potential days you'll have to take off for interviews and such?

I'm currently looking into some jobs (say teaching for example) and I feel badly not telling them that I could only be there for a year. On the other hand, my crystal ball has been giving me pretty crappy predictions, and I don't want to be an unemployed shmuck for the next year and a half.

So, do you mention it in the interview? Not tell them at all and just ask for interview dates off w/out reason? Or do you bring it up when you've got the acceptance letter in your hand?

Geez, this post sounds girlie. :thumbdown: :cool:

Thanks.

There really is no good answer, cause in the end they will no you lied to them, so that sucks.

synapse lapse

tokyo robotic
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2003
future
Status
Attending Physician
Haha, I am going to get a job this summer but I am sure not going to tell them I'm only staying for 2 months. You are under no obligation to your employer, and if you give them 2 weeks notice before leaving that is more than ample for them to hire another person.

Ol'DocToxic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2004
Status
I don't tell my employer anything about my med school aspirations or why I took time off for interviews. The Co I work for has had a couple of rounds of layoffs in the past 3 years and didn't hesitate to lay off a bunch of people I worked with; people who really needed their jobs. I'm sure if it came down to it, they would lay me off on a moments notice without a second thought. Thus, I feel no obligation to let them know that I may quit my job in 4 or 5 months. I plan on giving the professional 2-4 week notice this summer. In your situation, you will be starting a new job. You will be the most junior person there and if the feces hits the fan at the new job (funding runs out, budget cuts, program termination, whatever) who do you think will be the first employee to go? I think it's better to have a job that you are planning on leaving than it is to not have a job when you don't make it into med school next cycle*.

*Not that I think you won't make it in, but nobody plans on getting hit by a bus either.

OP
Erasmus

Erasmus

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2005
The Library
Status
Ol'DocToxic said:
I think it's better to have a job that you are planning on leaving than it is to not have a job when you don't make it into med school next cycle*.

*Not that I think you won't make it in, but nobody plans on getting hit by a bus either.
'Zactly. :thumbup: :thumbup: Although, I think that if I am unemployed and without an acceptance in hand by this time next year, I very well might make that bus thing a reality. :D