All Branch Topic (ABT) Potential for Medical Waiver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redtd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a current medical student hoping to join military medicine through FAP, although I have an almost decade old medical issue that I'm unsure will be waived, and I'd like to see if someone has some input on my chances to receive a medical waiver, or whether I should just simply not disclose it when I apply.

During Freshman year of undergrad (about 7-8 years ago), I was involuntarily hospitalized for an examination (48 hour hold), diagnosed with depression due to a suicidal gesture, but was released as I was believed to be no threat to myself after examination. Unfortunately my hospitalization was due to my immaturity and wasn't a particularly dire mental health issue, thus I was released promptly. I still hold that depression was not the issue, but nonetheless, I still have that diagnosis on my record. I was never on medication, and did not receive medication afterwards, and I have never made suicidal gestures or revealed feelings of depression since that unfortunate incident.

I know that incidents like these are very hard to receive waivers for, but given my circumstances, do you think there will be any chance of a successful waiver when I apply under the FAP program within the next few years?
"depression" persae is not a diagnosis, it's more like a symptom. A diagnosis would be Major Depressive Disorder (MDD), Bipolar Disorder, etc...and these diagnoses are not made as per 1 single short hospitalization (you have to be evaluated more thoroughly via outpatient f/u, etc). So you were likely NOT diagnosed with anything....so you may not even need a waiver.

Reactions: 1 user
If someone is hospitalized for psych, they received a diagnosis. It may be something vague, like Depressive Disorder, but you can't get involuntarily admitted to a psych unit without a diagnosis.

Also, unless it's changed, the entry paperwork asks you to list all your hospitalizations. This would be one.

The OP will likely require a waiver.

Members don't see this ad :)
If that was disqualifying, we'd lose 50% of milmed.

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like another adjustment disorder with mixed emotional features.

I am going to comment as someone who has dealt with this situation many times.

Absolutely do NOT choose to hide that issue.

I have seen this over and over again. The military has some very unique stressors involved with what we do, and military medicine, even more so.

It sounds like someone Baker Acted you. Now I don't know you and have no real idea what happened to you, but I am very familiar with how that system works. The fact that you were hospitalized for a suicidal gesture is a huge red flag. Those issues almost never get waivers. The reason why is the military would put a lot of time and money into getting you trained up and the risk of you breaking down when it counts is just too much of a risk to take. I have MEDEVAC'd many a sailor that had pre existing issues that were not an issue state side where life was good, but suddenly rose up when stuff hit the fan.

My recommendation is to avoid the hassle.

Last edited: