mommy2three

PGY-1
10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
Michigan
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Being an osteopathic applicant this cycle has been interesting and surprising to say the least - but none so more than this.

I am going to an interview soon to an allopathic residency that has never taken a DO before.
I will obviously be asking questions about how they will support me in OMT etc, but was wondering if I can ask the elephant in the room question of some version of "why me?" Or is that taboo?

Thanks guys and gals :)

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Personally, I wouldn't ask anything about OMT. If they aren't DOs, not only do they probably not know, they almost certainly don't care. If that's a deal-breaker for you, you should probably go somewhere else.

brats800

cheesehead
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2003
MadTown
Status
Attending Physician
1) I was an MD at a dual accredited residency program. I had DO applicants ask me about OMT and I gave them the best answer I could be encouraged they ask the DO's their OMT questions.
2) I d0n't think the "why me" question is off limits. I had applicants ask me that question when I did interviews. I feel that if the program can ask you "Why us?" then you should be able to ask "Why me?".

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I wouldn't bring OMT up. You'll be allopathic-board certified and OMM won't be required of you. There's no reason to bring it up. There may be a few faculty members comfortable enough to precept you for OMT, but you won't be able to bill for it as a resident (unless a DO precepts you).

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Being an osteopathic applicant this cycle has been interesting and surprising to say the least - but none so more than this.

I am going to an interview soon to an allopathic residency that has never taken a DO before.
I will obviously be asking questions about how they will support me in OMT etc, but was wondering if I can ask the elephant in the room question of some version of "why me?" Or is that taboo?

I went to a DO residency and honestly, the DO portion of it all consisted of 1 half-hour lecture with practice on each other monthly. It was NOTHING. We did OMT in clinic on the patients but the MD attending couldn't critique us. I learned how to code OMT from the coder - not the attending. You would be better off to just go to an OMT conference yearly.

VA Hopeful Dr

15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Personally, I wouldn't ask anything about OMT. If they aren't DOs, not only do they probably not know, they almost certainly don't care. If that's a deal-breaker for you, you should probably go somewhere else.
Agreed, don't bring it up. If the program has never accepted a DO before, you don't want to do anything that highlights the difference between you and the MD applicants, or at least not anything that the MD faculty can't/doesn't do.

OP
M

mommy2three

PGY-1
10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
Michigan
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks guys
I have interviewed at other allopathic programs which have said in their process about how they integrate OMT into curriculum and support their DO residents
I am slightly terrified at the prospect of this interview

magnum_pi

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Dec 21, 2013
South of Canada
wehatelecom.com

LOL if you are seriously going to push for OMT, you deserve to lose your spot and they will never allow an 'osteopath' in

MadHopsMD

10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2006
North
Status
Medical Student
Even as an allopath, I always ask about OMT to all the programs , but only to a DO resident. So if a program had none, I would not ask. THere were couple schools that had perhaps only 1 and 2 DO. Some of the answers I got were:

1. No OMT in clinic, because there are no DO preceptors. We do not even have a table. I never liked OMT anyways.
2. Yes OMT in clinic, even when there are no DO preceptors. We just dont bill for it since we need a preceptor. We do have tables.
3. No OMT in clinic, because there are no DO preceptors and I am the only DO resident in the program. But I am trying to change that, I even got a table in our clinic! THey have allowed me to take courses, and now I am giving lectures to teach everyone about OMT. And pushing hard to get a DO attending to be hired.

So, ask the question to the resident. If they do not take a DO there is still a chance that you can change things see answer three above. I feel as a family physicians are very accepting to different modes of treatment.

Makati2008

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2008
Status
Attending Physician

Why not just do a DO residency?

OP
M

mommy2three

PGY-1
10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
Michigan
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Why not just do a DO residency?
Because I am hoping to complete a fellowship in sports medicine and I keep more doors open if I do a dually accredited program vs osteo only

The interview went well, they have a DO preceptor and are very open to OMT
I really loved it there and could definitely see myself there as a resident

VenusinFurs

I am tired, I am weary
7+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I'm an MD at a dual accredited program. I think if OMT is important to you you should always ask about it. The interview process is about really seeing where you'd be a good fit and not really that much about trying to look good- at least in my program, as long as you don't come off as a completely insufferable person we aren't going to be like NO NEVARRRR.

I'm glad that interview went well!

Reactions: mommy2three