• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Potential issue with picture

Suffer

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2017
    I just interviewed at a place that does MMI. The day of the interview, they ask you to take a picture on one of their computers. I took mine and it displayed a white square (thought it was a problem with the website so I just confirmed it). However, when I was going around for MMIs and one person brought it up, they told me they couldn't see a picture, only a white square.

Should I contact the school about this or should I just let it slide and hope they assume something was wrong with their system?? I totally did not think to ask on interview day given everything that was going on

Also, the week before I interviewed, they asked for a passport style photo from me, so they have a picture (just not the one I was supposed to take on interview day).

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 7, 2005
    1. Academic Administration
      Unless you can change the past, there isn't anything you can do about this now.

If they wanted to be able to look back later and see if the picture you sent and the picture you took on interview day matched up as the same person, or if they wanted the interviewers to be able to see the photo of you taken that day (because that's how their software is set up despite asking for a photo in advance), you just made both of those impossible.

You made an assumption (that there was a problem) and confirmed what you saw on the screen as being acceptable. If you were assigned to see patients and when you arrived at one bedside the ECG was a flatline would you assume that the machine was malfunctioning and just move on to the next patient on your list without telling anyone?

About the Ads

Suffer

2+ Year Member
      Jan 26, 2017
        You made an assumption (that there was a problem) and confirmed what you saw on the screen as being acceptable. If you were assigned to see patients and when you arrived at one bedside the ECG was a flatline would you assume that the machine was malfunctioning and just move on to the next patient on your list without telling anyone?

Is that really something that can adversely affect admissions chances?

Like they're going to look at that (lack of) picture and the first thing they will think is "damn, this kid made a bad decision" rather than "maybe there was an issue with our website"?

Last edited:

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
        Verified Expert
        15+ Year Member
        Mar 7, 2005
        1. Academic Administration

Like they're going to look at that (lack of) picture and the first thing they will think is "damn, this kid made a bad decision" rather than "maybe there was an issue with our website"?

"Damn, this kid failed to tell us that the machine malfunctioned. He should have brought it to someone's attention rather than acting like it didn't matter. Has this ever happened before? What have other applicants done?"

It does provide evidence of your problem solving ability and how you think on your feet. It might not hurt admission chances but it sure as hell won't help.

Reactions: 1 users

GoSkins

2+ Year Member
          Dec 6, 2016

Don't worry about it. The analogy LizzyM gave is extremely far-fetched. Any medical school worth attending will understand simple mistakes happen.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.