DO Potential pharmacist to potential physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SlyGuy88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering if I could get some input on my chances with my current stats. I'm not sure how unusual or not my situation is so first let me give you some background.

I did my undergrad at a state university in Michigan with the intention of becoming a pharmacist. I graduated last May (2013) with a bachelors in biology and earned a cGPA and sGPA of 3.3. I then took a year off after graduating to study for the PCAT and to log more hours of work in the pharmacy ( I work as a pharmacy technician for the last few years). After meeting all the requirements and jumping through all the hoops required for pharmacy school I was accepted to a school in Michigan and thought my future was set... Until I really thought hard about pharmacy as a career. As I gained more knowledge and witnessed first hand what a pharmacist does I no longer believe the profession is for me. I began searching for what I wanted to do with myself as a career and have decided on medicine, particularly family medicine. After shadowing both 2 healthcare professionals in a family practice setting ( 1 PA and 1 MD) I feel strongly that primary care medicine is what I want to do.

My stats:
cGPA: 3.30
sGPA: 3.30
MCAT: 28Q (10/8/10)

Over 1300 hours logged as a pharmacy technician.
Shadowed PA 80 hours
Shadowed family medicine practitioner (MD) 40 hours
2 letters of recommendation from upper level science professors (one was my advisor)
1 letter of recommendation from non-science professor
1 letter of recommendation from above-mentioned MD
A meager 10hours of volunteering I did once sophomore year.
And I'm semi-fluent in Spanish for whatever it's worth (Rosetta Stone :))

I will be applying strictly DO because I have a few class retakes (came down with mono my junior year, wrecked my gpa and had to retake in the summer between). I know this is weird because I don't have a DO letter but from what I've researched it isn't mandatory for some schools.

My question is, will my lack of EC's sink my application (I.e. Lack of volunteering hours)? If I applied day 1 will I have a good chance anywhere? From what I've read my GPA and MCAT are about average. My primary choice would be MSUCOM but from what I've researched it will be a long shot for me. I will be applying to every single DO school that I meet the criteria for. Please be honest and I thank you guys for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm new to the whole pre-medicine thing but thanks to this website (which I just discovered yesterday) I'm learning new things by the hour. If one of my questions was stupid or pointless please forgive me. :)

You really do need more ECs.
Start volunteering now! There's nothing keeping you from doing so. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
But honestly, I totally get it. I was in the same mindset.
But I work at CVS, retail pharmacy sucks. I really have no desire to be a pharmacist, after seeing what retail pharmacists do and after shadowing a hospital pharmacist.

But maybe someone can clarify if pharmacy tech counts as clinical hours? I am still hazy on this one, since people who pick up their prescriptions actually are patients. And I'm close enough to them to "smell them".

If it doesn't count, OP, you need clinical experience as well.

@SlyGuy88 ... See if you can log in about 100 clinical volunteering hours from now until you apply, then I think your chances are good.

It could go either way. Some will doubt the authenticity, so your PS and interview will be key. Apply early and start planning for some clinical volunteering for update letters.