Potential Reapplicant...Advice for next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gill_97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I applied to medical schools this cycle, but sadly do not think I will get in anywhere. Currently, I do not even have an interview invite. This has made me think about my application and how to improve before my next application. When I applied last July 2018, I had a 3.45 cGPA and a 3.35 sGPA. I majored in Bioengineering from a top Ugrad university. I struggled in my early Ugrad years, but I feel that I have definitely pulled it together. In my third year and first quarter of fourth year, I have held a ~3.85 GPA. I applied with an MCAT of 509. I applied to both MD and DO schools.

Below is a list of ECs:
-Volunteer Hospital where I directly interact with patients (300+ hours)
-Student researcher (200+ hours); Abstracts and poster presentation, but no pubs
-Volunteer for local nonprofit serving underserved families (40 hours)
-Shadowing (50 hours)
-President of non-profit (600+ hours)
-Tutor (300+ hours)

I understand that this information may not be enough to give you an entire picture of me as an applicant, but I would appreciate any advice that you could give on how to potentially improve. During my gap year, I am currently planning on enrolling in a post-bac program. I would appreciate any tips on reapplying and advice on post-bac programs. Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

For your gap year(s), why not work in bioengineering and earn a living? "Post bacs" are a dime a dozen, the bioengineering background could give you an interesting and unique perspective.

Also, your ECs are ok but not terribly impressive. I suggest you get more exposure to medical practice (50 hours of shadowing isn't enough).

What schools did you apply to?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Everyone!
I applied to medical schools this cycle, but sadly do not think I will get in anywhere. Currently, I do not even have an interview invite. This has made me think about my application and how to improve before my next application. When I applied last July 2018, I had a 3.45 cGPA and a 3.35 sGPA. I majored in Bioengineering from a top Ugrad university. I struggled in my early Ugrad years, but I feel that I have definitely pulled it together. In my third year and first quarter of fourth year, I have held a ~3.85 GPA. I applied with an MCAT of 509. I applied to both MD and DO schools.

Below is a list of ECs:
-Volunteer Hospital where I directly interact with patients (300+ hours)
-Student researcher (200+ hours); Abstracts and poster presentation, but no pubs
-Volunteer for local nonprofit serving underserved families (40 hours)
-Shadowing (50 hours)
-President of non-profit (600+ hours)
-Tutor (300+ hours)

I understand that this information may not be enough to give you an entire picture of me as an applicant, but I would appreciate any advice that you could give on how to potentially improve. During my gap year, I am currently planning on enrolling in a post-bac program. I would appreciate any tips on reapplying and advice on post-bac programs. Thanks in advance!!
I suggest targeting these schools. A post-bac might not be needed, just finish well these last quarters.

Get in more service to others....meaning other than the non-profit.

U Toledo
Dartmouth
U VM
Miami
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
Nova MD
CUSM IF you're from CA
Your state school.
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest targeting these schools. A post-bac might not be needed, just finish well these last quarters.

Get in more service to others....meaning other than the non-profit.

U Toledo
Dartmouth
U VM
Miami
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
Nova MD
CUSM IF you're from CA
Your state school.
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.

I'm a California resident. I applied to the following from your list:
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
EVMS
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Tulane
CUSM
State schools

Will consider adding other ones to list, thank you!

In addition: IF you can get a 515+, retaking the MCAT might be a good move. You've got to show significant improvement though.

Did you apply to most DO schools? With those stats, you should've landed a couple interviews. GPA is a little bit below the average applicant, but MCAT is above.

Did you apply to most DO schools? With those stats, you should've landed a couple interviews. GPA is a little bit below the average applicant, but MCAT is above.
Yes I applied to 8 DO schools, including instate schools. Do DO schools take longer to send out II? I have not heard from them, except one (which was a hold).

Would a post bacc even be helpful? I always thought that my GPA held me back, so i was thinking about applying to a program that would help enhance my academic record (ex. UCSD Postbac, Temple). Or do people think i should focus on improving my mcat score? Also, if i do enroll in a post bac, can i apply before i actually start, but still write on my application that im doing it (will it add any value)?