Potentially Unsuccessful Cycle and Planning Ahead

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoneyBadgerz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I don't post here a lot, but I'm in a position now where I need to figure out precisely what my next steps should be and I'm in need of some guidance. This cycle (my 2nd) has mostly been a waiting game for me with occasional disappointments. I came in with fairly high hopes. I interviewed with Virginia Tech in September and I thought that it went extremely well, but I was told in October that my app would be re-evaluated in March for possible acceptance. Other than that, I haven't had any interview offers. I applied to 23 schools of a wide variety. Aside from the 1 interview, 6 have rejected me and 3 have put me "on hold." I haven't heard any news from the other 13 schools. I know interview season runs through February for most programs, but it's definitely becoming more of a long shot for me to be accepted at this point.

I generally think I'm a decently strong candidate with a 3.65 GPA and 517 MCAT. I have a good deal of experience volunteering in medicine as an EMT on a rescue squad and I have done a ton of BME research as an undergrad (no publications, unfortunately). A more thorough list of the specifics of my application and my extracurriculars can be found here: WAMC. I went to the University of Virginia for my undergrad (Engineering Science with a concentration in Nanomedicine) and it's my dream med school, but they've been among the silent schools thus far. I'm also currently a Virginia resident. My school list is below:

Virginia tech (2nd time)- Interview & Waiting

Georgetown (2nd time)- Rejection
Wake Forest (2nd time)- Rejection
Geisel @ Dartmouth- Rejection
Boston- Rejection
U of Rochester- Rejection
Warren Alpert @ Brown- Rejection

GW (2nd time)- "On hold"
Penn State (2nd time)- "On hold"
VCU (2nd time)- "Reviewed"

Lewis Katz @ Temple
Sidney Kimmel @ TJ
Uni of Miami
Frank Netter Quinnipac
Tufts
Hofstra
Emory
St. Louis University
Duke
Weill Cornell
Ohio State
UVA (2nd time)
EVMS (2nd time)

My first application cycle was a bit of a mess. I didn't make a smart school list and I had no clinical experience. The result was obviously a fruitless, no-interview cycle, but I had a clear path forward. I retook the MCAT (510 -> 517), obtained my EMT certification, volunteered with a rescue squad, and shadowed several physicians all while continuing to do academic research and working a part-time job to pay for my loans. I also got several new letters of recommendation, made a smarter school list, applied earlier, and got a job in UVA's ER (which didn't quite make it onto my primary app due to timing, but was mentioned in my secondaries).

This time around, I really don't know where to improve. My GPA isn't stellar, but it's high enough that doing a post-bacc or Master's program probably wouldn't raise it much. Re-taking the MCAT is probably out of the question as I definitely don't want to chance showing regression. I don't currently have any publications, but that isn't for a lack of working in research and I can't just snap my fingers and make that happen. My only thoughts right now are more shadowing hours and possibly some additional non-clinical volunteering experiences (although I already do a lot of clinical volunteering). Unless something changes, I plan to continue volunteering with my local rescue squad (12 hours per week), working full-time at UVA's ER (36 hours per week), and volunteering my time with a research lab at UVA (~5 hours per week, highly variable).

So my questions are: Do I still have a decent chance of more interviews this cycle? Is there any other action I can take to improve my chances this cycle? What will be the best ways for me to improve my application? And should I take additional time off before trying to apply again? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Update: I just received an II from Eastern Virginia! So I suppose all hope isn't lost for this cycle! However, I do still intend to listen to any advice I can get and prepare for the next cycle accordingly.

Reactions: 5 users
What (where) are your non-clinical volunteering activities?

Did you use the MSAR to develop your list?

Did you use an average of your MCAT scores when selecting schools? AMCAS rec. schools average multiple scores so you might want to think about that.

Did you ask for feedback from schools on what happened last time you applied?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanting to let you know that EVMS uses a tie ring waitlist which you are most likely to be placed on at this point in the cycle. They pretty much automatically tell you that you are in the middle 1/3 even if you are really at the bottom or top. Best of luck though and hope you enjoy the school.

What (where) are your non-clinical volunteering activities?

My only major non-clinical volunteering activity is through my a cappella group in college, which was non-profit and spent a good portion of time assisting in fundraisers and charity events. It's more of an artistic activity than non-clinical volunteering, so I did properly categorize it on my primary application. I just also made sure it was clear that it was also a volunteering experience. Other than that, I haven't done much non-clinical volunteering since high school (which obviously didn't go onto my application), hence why I said it's definitely one of my weak areas.

Did you use the MSAR to develop your list?

I did use MSAR for my list and focused mostly on private schools with a few public schools that accept high numbers of out-of-staters (that was one of my main issues last cycle- too many public schools). I thought I made a pretty good list this time around.

Did you use an average of your MCAT scores when selecting schools? AMCAS rec. schools average multiple scores so you might want to think about that.

I kept that in consideration while making my list, but even with my scores averaged I'm at a 513.5, which was at or above the median for 13/23 schools. I also never actually saw a school on my list state that they average MCAT scores. Instead, every school that specified said that they take the highest score. This is why I didn't see this as a problem.

Did you ask for feedback from schools on what happened last time you applied?

I probably should have just to be safe, but I did not. I thought I had a clear answer: A total lack of clinical experience coupled with stats too low to make that acceptable. If I don't get in this time then I will definitely need to follow up with some schools for an explanation.

Just wanting to let you know that EVMS uses a tie ring waitlist which you are most likely to be placed on at this point in the cycle. They pretty much automatically tell you that you are in the middle 1/3 even if you are really at the bottom or top. Best of luck though and hope you enjoy the school.

Thank you! And that definitely makes sense, but you're saying even though they may say I'm in the middle third, there's no reason I couldn't hypothetically nail my interview and be placed near the very top?

If your 2nd cycle is to focus on private schools with your stats, shouldn't you include schools such as NYMC, Albany instead of super high-reach Cornell Weill, Brown Alpert, Dartmouth? Even Hofstra is looking for high-stats OOS.

If your 2nd cycle is to focus on private schools with your stats, shouldn't you include schools such as NYMC, Albany instead of super high-reach Cornell Weill, Brown Alpert, Dartmouth? Even Hofstra is looking for high-stats OOS.
I unfortunately thought I was much more competitive than I am. I didn't think I had a GREAT shot at those programs, but I felt comfortable with a few long shots because I mistakenly thought with my stats that I would've been accepted to a state school like EVMS or VCU by now. It was definitely a mistake I won't make again next time.

So you really have no service to the unserved/underserved in your community. That’s what nonclinical volunteering is really. I’m saying that based on what you’ve shared. @Goro frequently advises applicants to get off campus and out of their comfort zone. He encourages people to face what they aren’t used to, like the homeless, people without food, children with disabilities , underprivileged kids that need a coach or tutoring, etc.. I’m sure your a cappella fund raising was fun and most appreciated but it might not be what ADCOMS have in mind. Medicine is a service profession and you have to deal with all kinds of populations. You have to prove your altruism.

Reactions: 1 user
So you really have no service to the unserved/underserved in your community. That’s what nonclinical volunteering is really. I’m saying that based on what you’ve shared. @Goro frequently advises applicants to get off campus and out of their comfort zone. He encourages people to face what they aren’t used to, like the homeless, people without food, children with disabilities , underprivileged kids that need a coach or tutoring, etc.. I’m sure your a cappella fund raising was fun and most appreciated but it might not be what ADCOMS have in mind. Medicine is a service profession and you have to deal with all kinds of populations. You have to prove your altruism.
I definitely agree that I'm lacking in the nonclinical aspect of this, but my rescue squad work involves A LOT of work with these people. Anyone who's worked on a rescue squad or in an ER knows that the primary work of squads is picking up people with minor health problems with no support system. It's only in rare situations that I have patients with what most others would consider a true "medical emergency." Most of the patients that I work with are too poor or disabled to transport themselves to the hospital or have no one else who can help them. The homeless, for example, are frequent flyers because of complaints like alcoholism or suicidal ideations. That all being said, this fine detail may be lost on some ADCOMS and it still doesn't change the fact that I haven't worked much with these people since before college.