Poznan/Charles 1st/Kaunas/Slovakia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nsetra57

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Could anyone provide sort of rating for these schools based on teaching, clinicals, attrition, international student admission numbers, etc?
I am confused here because there are many medical schoold in Eastern Europe offering english programs.
Is is getting too difficult to make a decision. Any kind of help from current students of these institution is appreciated.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I am waiting to hear from your experiences with my above post. I just found that "JAGIELLONIAN UNIVERSITY MEDICAL COLLEGE" is also another option. so the list goes on (I am afraid).
Looking at 6 year program in English after high school.
Please start replying, I have less time to take decision.

Charles University in Prague, Poznan and Jagiellonian in Poland, and Semmelweis and Debrecen in Hungary are all quite good.

It all comes down to how much you can afford. I can speak for Charles. They charge a tuition of around 13,500 EUR per year. The teaching is quite good (that's just my personal opinion) but in general, profs. don't spoon-feed students, so in the end, you have to take the initiative to work hard or to set up consultations if you have questions concerning certain topic/s. Charles does a really good job with giving you a solid education but this does come at a price - high attrition (it's really quite high compared to the Polish schools. I believe Debrecen also has a high attrition rate.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Shreypete,
Thanks for your response. The price is bit too high in Charles. I did little math on total expences and it came to around 35000 EUR. Can you help in total expences for Charles? I took 13,500 EUR for tution, 13,000 EUR for accommodation + food + transportation, 4000 EUR for books, 5000 EUR for other expences. How about medical insurance, exam fees etc?

Poznan trains students for US medical system only, but Charles does it as per EU system right?

What are your thoughts on Kaunas Medical Uni in Lithuvania, I heard good about them as well.

Yes, Charles does train students as per the EU system. But a lot of students I hear are flocking to Australia nowadays (apart from UK and US.)

I think your calculated expenses are roughly right.

I haven't heard much about Kaunas as their english program is relatively new but I think it should be good. It would be in your best interest if you could visit the place firsthand or get in touch with some of the students studying there (perhaps finding them on facebook or the faculty website should help.)

I know Charles 1'st is quite a good uni. and I had a friend who went there for a couple of years before he quit this year (burnt out). The only thing he told me is that sience Charles operate with mostly oral exams it can be quite hard to pass some of the subjects (esp. biocemistry) as where in Poznan where I study we only operate with multiple choice and our biochemistry is a NBME standard curve and more clinical based questions (not memorizing hundreds of structures but to focus more on the medicine and deficiencies as they do in the US curriculum).

But you still have to have a 60% average through the year of many seminar quizzes.

In the 6MD program (which I attend) we have a a much rougher time with biophysics than many other uni's in Poland, but it weighs up with having a more "comfertable" biochemistry course then the other uni's (but I still studied 6 weeks straigth for the exam lol)