PPI and letter of recs for PASS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maggie02

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just registered a PASS account today, applying for PEDO this year :) I thought I knew this already, but obviously not. I see PPI's ares "required", but the letters of recommendations are not, at least on PASS. There can be up to 5 PPIs. Should I use different people for the letters and PPIs? If I have 3 letters and 5 PPI's, that means I need to find 8 people who will give me great evaluations. That's a big number.

Any thoughts and advice? Thanks guys.

Good luck to all who's applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

I just registered a PASS account today, applying for PEDO this year :) I thought I knew this already, but obviously not. I see PPI's ares "required", but the letters of recommendations are not, at least on PASS. There can be up to 5 PPIs. Should I use different people for the letters and PPIs? If I have 3 letters and 5 PPI's, that means I need to find 8 people who will give me great evaluations. That's a big number.

Any thoughts and advice? Thanks guys.

Good luck to all who's applying this cycle!

Your PPIs and Letters should be from different people. I did 5 total (3 PPIs and 2 Letters) and it was more than enough. Decide which programs you are going to apply to and check the requirements for each program in regards to PPIs and LORs.

Your PPIs and Letters should be from different people. I did 5 total (3 PPIs and 2 Letters) and it was more than enough. Decide which programs you are going to apply to and check the requirements for each program in regards to PPIs and LORs.
Did u get the PEF from faculty or people you worked with?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if both PE (Professional Evaluations) have to be written by peds faculty if I am applying for peds?
I was under the impression that PPIs are in rubric format. What about PE? I know they are similar to the tradition LOR but is there some sort of structure to it? Thanks!

Anyone know if both PE (Professional Evaluations) have to be written by peds faculty if I am applying for peds?
I was under the impression that PPIs are in rubric format. What about PE? I know they are similar to the tradition LOR but is there some sort of structure to it? Thanks!

Personally, I had two pediatric dental faculty, one clinical, and one -preclinical write my PE's, since they are more like traditional LOR, in being open format, than PPI's. I bet you could also have your practice leader /another faculty you worked with frequently in clinic write a PE on your behalf. PPI's are basically question/answer format, and don't really give much room for elaboration.