PR Review Books from 2002

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine has these and I was just wondering if they are 'new' enough to help me tackle the new MCAT?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Just stick with EK and BR. You don't need that many books and those two series will be MORE than enough.

Edit: The buckshot method of getting as many books as possible is both useless and a waste of money.

Just stick with EK and BR. You don't need that many books and those two series will be MORE than enough.

Edit: The buckshot method of getting as many books as possible is both useless and a waste of money.

I don't have BR though. I'd have to pay $270 for BR whereas I can get PR for $100?

BR is still the better series to get by far and well worth the money. I wouldn't waste my money on TPR. Furthermore, the TPR book might not even have that many practice problems if they were originally classroom books. Usually, the practice material is online nowadays and only the content review is in the books. I'm not sure if this is the case with the 2002 series. I would check to make sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
BR is still the better series to get by far and well worth the money. I wouldn't waste my money on TPR. Furthermore, the TPR book might not even have that many practice problems if they were originally classroom books. Usually, the practice material is online nowadays and only the content review is in the books. I'm not sure if this is the case with the 2002 series. I would check to make sure.

I already have Kaplan and EK. So is BR really worth $180 more? and why doesn't the BR website have online payment?

Yes, BR is worth $180 more. I doubt the Kaplan and TPR books will even come close to helping you out as much as BR + EK. In terms of practice problems, BR easily beats all of the other content review books: EK, Kaplan and TPR combined. EK has some practice MCAT problems, but not many. EK mainly focuses on their other books for practice problems. The Kaplan course book doesn't have any or if it does it's a VERY small number. Kaplan's main resource for practice problems is online. TPR is probably going to be similar to Kaplan except they're considered stronger in terms of content review.

There isn't an online payment, because they're, well, backwards in that area. I remember BerkReviewTeach talking about it awhile ago.

It would be better to spend $270 for books that will help you prepare, than $100 on a set of paperweights that you'll rarely look at.

The review books for PR actually have a lot of practice problems, but not in passage format.

If you can get the science workbook along with the review books then you will get both passage based and discrete problems

At the same time it is not completely bad to get some old MCAT prep texts. For example, I found out that the main material in many of the prep books is almost identical to what was in them six or more years ago, I bought the set of old TBRs (2003) for around $50. I think that was a good investment given that most recent versions of TPR and Kaplan are already available in local libraries and given that I have more than 1.5 years to start preparing for the MCAT. Most books haven't caught up with the CBR completely anyway.

So if you can get your hands on an older version of TBR, it might be worthy investment, expecially for around $50 for eight or so books, Just the paper and ink probably cost more.