PR verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nuel

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the free MCAT (verbal only) on the Princeton Review website and made a 6 (45/65); it was kinda hard . . . Now my question is which is more like the real MCAT? Or, if you've taken it, is the free PR online just unnecessarily difficult? Opinions will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend actually taking a real one to see. I can vouch that PR varies in how similar it is to MCATs. You can get a free MCAT online off of the aamc website (it's this nifty computer program). Save the Bio and PhySci sections for when you're ready for them.

I did some Kaplan tests and found they were pretty representative of the TYPES of passages you would see. I thought the scoring was a little padded, though.

Good luck!

Your 6 is quite good. I took that online PR review test as part of my studying for the August MCAT. I think I got about 40 right or so, which put me at a 5 or something. I got a 12 on the real thing. I wouldnt wory about it too much. Just follow the EK philosophy found in the 'verbal reasoning and math review ' and you will be fine.

My experience from taking Kaplan tests is that thier questions blow. The wording and logic in the AAMC tests and on the real ones is much more intuitive. Kaplan (and prob PR) make the style of questions similar to the real MCAT but don't spend enough time thinking about how accurate thier thought processes are. I used my own version of the PR test taking method though and I got a twelve on the real deal after getting a high of 8 on my practice tests. I think the practice tests helped though, just don't fret about getting bad practice scores. Note: I didn't take any prep course I just got Kaplan and PR study books and tests from people.

Members don't see this ad :)
i found my scores on the princeton review verbal improved as i took their course (8 - > 14; 13 on actual mcat) but by the end of the class i was scoring the same on the pr stuff as i did on the actual test. if anything, the pr questions were harder than the real test, but were exactly the same types and not orders of magnitude harder. (doing pr verbal practices and applying their strategies was a huge help to me on the mcat, by the way.)

Originally posted by DrBodacious
My experience from taking Kaplan tests is that thier questions blow. The wording and logic in the AAMC tests and on the real ones is much more intuitive. Kaplan (and prob PR) make the style of questions similar to the real MCAT but don't spend enough time thinking about how accurate thier thought processes are. I used my own version of the PR test taking method though and I got a twelve on the real deal after getting a high of 8 on my practice tests. I think the practice tests helped though, just don't fret about getting bad practice scores. Note: I didn't take any prep course I just got Kaplan and PR study books and tests from people.

Hmm this is strange because I took the Kaplan exams (6 of them) and scored between 10-14. On the real test I got a 12 which was pretty much an average. I did not feel the MCAT VR was much different from Kaplan's.