Practice exam scores database

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Forbes

K20A2
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see very many threads with people asking,

"How did you do on the MCAT relative to your TPR/BR/AAMC/KAPLAN practice exams(s)"

Many of us premeds rely upon statistics to measure our competitiveness/preparedness (School selector spreadsheet). I would like to create a database comparing practice exam averages/scores vs. real scores. This will be for the purposes of gaining insight into how accurate of predictors some exams are. In my opinion, this would be useful to gauge progress in the studying process, something that can be difficult.

The project would rely upon self reporting scores - so it may be subject to inflation, bias, and human error etc. It also would have to work on the premise of confidentiality - IE your scores will not be linked to any identifying information. You will be data set A213-230 - etc.

The reason I am posting this, is to gauge interest. I'm thinking that it won't be very relevant unless we get 100-200 data sets. If you support the idea, let me know by posting comments. I am still unsure of the best method to collect the scores, SDN or some other means like having people use guerillamail.

Comments appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I support this VERY MUCH. To me, knowing my MCAT abilities are a big deal and I realize that the only way to test my true MCAT abilities are by taking practice tests that are accurate in predicting real MCAT scores.

In fact, I am not retaking the test because I don't have many more practice AAMC's to take, and I know that Kaplan and TPR exams are not good predictors of your real score. I got a 32 on the real deal, so I don't want to retake unless I know for sure I will go up (my GPA is very low so this is why I would retake a 32 in the first place).

Here is a link to the largest (though informal) study of how student's real score compared to their average AAMC practice test scores: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=561455

Here is a link to a study done by some people at another forum. I beleive they used around 150 people for the study for all three types of practice tests (AAMC, Kaplan, TPR), so 50 for each: http://www.studentdoc.com/practice-mcat.html

There "studies" are not bad but it couldn't hurt to have more people respond or for you to do another poll/study on this matter.

The graphs from the studentdoc website are not very revealing. More data would have helped. I just want to see if a significant amount of people would reply so that making a sheet to analyze the data would be worth it. Anyways, I think I will begin collecting data in a day or two. Any other comments?

The graphs from the studentdoc website are not very revealing. More data would have helped. I just want to see if a significant amount of people would reply so that making a sheet to analyze the data would be worth it. Anyways, I think I will begin collecting data in a day or two. Any other comments?

Go for it.

And i suggest you obtain the data in a way that people's scores are completely confidential. Even on a forum like this when our true identities are masked and all we are is a screenname, people end up getting self-conscious (quite ridiculous, I know). I have hardly ever seen somebody post here on SDN that they got a score of 25 or below on the real test or practice scores. Yet, apparently, a 25.5 is the average on the real test so about half of all-test takers get a 25 or below on the real deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the average MCAT score was a 30. Where did you read that it was a 25.5?

Last edited:
Is 30 the average accepted MCAT score?? I have no idea why that number is in my head.

Is 30 the average accepted MCAT score?? I have no idea why that number is in my head.

that sounds about right. Though i thought I'd heard it went up to a 31...i'll look for the AMCAS graph to see.

See here: Not for accepted, but here's for matriculants. Scroll down to the bottom. It looks like avg in 2008 was 9.9 VR/10.3 PS/10.7 BS and writing P. http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/2008mcatgpa.htm

I am interested and I will submit my practice score averages/real mcat to you after I take it. Thanks for taking the initiative.

OK, I have set up an email to anonymously send your scores.

sdnmcatinitiative [at] gmail . com

I included the [at] instead of using @ so that spambots wouldn't pick up the email as easily. Copying and pasting that address will not work! It is obvious how to reach that address. If you do not feel comfortable using your personal email,

use guerillamail which is a 15 minute email account at,

http://www.guerrillamail.com/

You may email that address, or you may PM me/post your scores if you wish. I promise that I will not divulge your personal scores to any person or governing body lest I am required to by law. Take that for what it is, you can always use guerillamail.

I request that the data be in the following format, if possible.

NAME OF COMPANY + IDENTIFIER : PS SCORE : VR SCORE : BS SCORE

so an example,

KAPLAN FL5 : 12 : 9 : 11
TPR 2: 10 : 10 : 10
EK 3H: 10 : 8 : 12
AAMC 5CBT : 8 : 8 : 8
AAMC 5R : 9 : 10 : 10

ACTUAL MCAT SCORE : 10 : 7 : 12

To be honest, I do not know how many exams TPR/EK or any other test company have produced/how they are identified. I do however know how Kaplan and the AAMC tests are identified. If you are not sure on something, enter in all the information possible and I will try and attempt to read and interpret it.

Another note;

I may be hard-working but I do not promise that this wil be up next week. Or the week after, for that matter. I am going to consult some people who are good with statistics so that I can make as accurate an assesment as possible. I will provide updates on the progress of the project. If there is not enough data I will try and post what I have anyways. If I see something that is out of the ordinary - Such as a set with all 45's or a set with all 6's then I may have to use my judgement on including these scores. This idea will fail unless we are honest with each other.

Thank you, try and bump this thread, and if you have scores please submit them!

Great. I will be emailing my scores.

And for this to work, we are going to need to get the word out about this thread. Maybe a mod who sees this can do something about that like making this a sticky?

But many times people just glance over stickies. So I dont know. Maybe there is something else that can be done to advertise this thread?

Absolutely, honesty is key. I would check out the 30+ MCAT thread for some data if you need it. Just curious, is there any way we can keep it honest?

Absolutely, honesty is key. I would check out the 30+ MCAT thread for some data if you need it. Just curious, is there any way we can keep it honest?

Without compromising anonymity, there is no real way of keeping things honest. The most "honest" way to report scores and keep things confidential is through posts or PM's, as it is the least likely to be falsified. This does not mean people don't lie on the forum, they are just less likely to when things are somewhat transparent.

Please send in scores, I will attempt to synthesize data from previous threads. Thanks for the suggestion, Red Leader.

No worries. Bunch of free data in the MCAT 5/22/09 thread. I'm tracking my progress in excel and will send data in Sept.