practice exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fleur64

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I needed some advice on what practice exams to take next. My exam is on the 22nd of this month. As of now, I have taken TPR exams 1-3 (the ones that book with a subject book), and I have taken EK 1-4. I have also finished half of the AAMC question packs. I will be taking the AAMC practice exam sometime this week, but I was wondering if there were any other exams that were good to take?

I've heard about Nextstep, BR, and Gold Standard. What would you buy next?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,
I needed some advice on what practice exams to take next. My exam is on the 22nd of this month. As of now, I have taken TPR exams 1-3 (the ones that book with a subject book), and I have taken EK 1-4. I have also finished half of the AAMC question packs. I will be taking the AAMC practice exam sometime this week, but I was wondering if there were any other exams that were good to take?

I've heard about Nextstep, BR, and Gold Standard. What would you buy next?

I'd go with NS for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep hearing that NextStep exams have passages that are almost the same as AAMC old exams/assessments. Is this true?

I haven't taken the AAMC full length yet but I highly doubt they are, specially their the first 4 FLs. I think there used to be some similar passages that they removed it now. I heard NS 5 is very similar to the AAMC FL though so I'm going to personally avoid taking that one but having taken FLs from NS, TPR, and Kaplan, I can say NS ones are much better in that they have much more experiment-based passages and require more critical thinking when it comes to deciphering those passages. The passages are also longer in my opinion. I finish TPR's section with ~15-20mins left (except in the CARS section) whereas I barely finish the NS sections on time. TPR's usually have 2 passages in each section that are based on experiments but honestly the majority of the passages are just testing content (pseudo-discretes).

Considering everything, I personally find NS to be noticeably more difficult and hence much better for practice.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey Fleur,

I just took the AAMC FL today and I have taken NS 1-4 and I feel they are pretty representative (maybe even overboard on the experiments and length of passages)! Yeah as Anon said, NS5 is apparently copied, I am not sure if they have changed this but the other test are pretty good! Only EK is better than them from what I have done, definitely stay away from PR/Kaplan (except PR Psych) as they are not very representative at all. I didn't do so hot on Kaplan/PR but got a pretty decent score on AAMC :)

I haven't done GS so far but would recommend NS > BR at this time

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't taken the AAMC full length yet but I highly doubt they are, specially their the first 4 FLs. I think there used to be some similar passages that they removed it now. I heard NS 5 is very similar to the AAMC FL though so I'm going to personally avoid taking that one but having taken FLs from NS, TPR, and Kaplan, I can say NS ones are much better in that they have much more experiment-based passages and require more critical thinking when it comes to deciphering those passages. The passages are also longer in my opinion. I finish TPR's section with ~15-20mins left (except in the CARS section) whereas I barely finish the NS sections on time. TPR's usually have 2 passages in each section that are based on experiments but honestly the majority of the passages are just testing content (pseudo-discretes).

Considering everything, I personally find NS to be noticeably more difficult and hence much better for practice.
Double post sorry :(

I might just buy Next Step exams! Thanks :)

Reactions: 1 user