practice for bench test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

florarose

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
@ all
can any one say the difference between cavity prep for class 2 amalgam and composite?

Members don't see this ad.

For composite, cavity will be more conservative and also we need not to give reverse curve on buccal in comp. cavity prep., which we give for amalgam.

@ all
can any one say the difference between cavity prep for class 2 amalgam and composite?

@ benny

the proximal box for composite is straight box like or flaring( ie wide at gingival base)?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Class 2 prep for amalgam and composite are the same, except that in class 2 composite the buccal and lingual walls of the box will be straight while in class 2 amalgam will be convergent:)

For composite, cavity will be more conservative and also we need not to give reverse curve on buccal in comp. cavity prep., which we give for amalgam.
does that mean box only preperation and no occlusal dovetail component in composite?

@ all

For composite class 2 prep - in the proximal box , bevels are usually placed on the proximal facial and lingual margins, it provides more surface area and exposure to enamel rods thus improves retention.
Remember -composite bonds much better to enamel than dentin , so whatever u can do to incrrease the surface area for bonding to enamel would help

If I understand ur ques. properly, its not mandatory to give dovetail in amalgam too.

does that mean box only preperation and no occlusal dovetail component in composite?

Hello friends this is a wonderful thread and we should keep it up as it will help us to keep motivated and do good in our exam. Well I was reading class 2 cavity prep from strutevant and it is no where mentioned that reverse s curve not be given in composite in fact on page 554 there is dig where u can see it. Please clarify and also what would be a good source to read class 2 for composite and about bevels are u using a pointed bur or some hand instrument and I believe we also need to give gingival bevel too.

Class 2 without occlusal component is called slot preparation.You will be asked to do regular Class 2.For composite width and depth of occlusal part does not matter and dictated by convinience and size of instruments you going to use during filling.Proximal box:gingival, buccal and lingual extent is as far as to achieve 0,5 mm clearance, cavosurface angle is 90, NO BEVEL.Make sure you do not leave any unsupported enamel.

I agree with Oralcare....no bevelsssss....and you do need a dovetail in both of the preparations, inverted s, gingival clearance of 0.5mm(minimum and maximum 1mm)....