practice in japan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can a US MD practice in japan? how?

Members don't see this ad.

You can if you pass the Japanese Medical Licensing exam which is now offered in English.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found on-line information of medical board exam, but it is written in Japanese. For those who can read, the address is:
http://www.mhlw.go.jp/general/sikaku/1.html
Unfortunately, I couldn't find the same instructions in English nor information for physicians lisensed in other countries.

ixitixl said:
You can if you pass the Japanese Medical Licensing exam which is now offered in English.

Where do you get the information that it is now offered in English? Thanks.

do they make a lot of money in Japan?

can someone pls tell me how many years does it take to graduate from japanese med or dent school? is it 7 or 8? thank you!

OOH! I really want to practice medicine in Japan as well! But I can't speak Japanese and my mother claims that immigration is very strict in Japan! She says that they do not want many people to come there from the US...

Is this true? Can anyone provide any advice for me??

Will I be more likely to be able to live in Japan if I study medicine there first??

PLEASE HELP!

My honest questions is how come you want to practice so badly in Japan (especially because it seems as if a collection of you don't know much Japanese)? What are the pros and cons?

I stayed in Japan a few times either through an exchange program and once through going to high school for the summer there. The language is difficult to master, especially if you haven't been able to practice it with natives. In a nutshell, its three forms of written form (hirogana, katakana, and kanji) interwoven together and spoken in a utterly confusing way. Their syntax is completely flipped when compared to English. If you were to say 'I like your dog', you would have to phrases it as 'your dog I like' in Japanese.

Anyways, maybe theres something I'm missing out on, heck, I'd love to practice medicine when I get my MD. Something I'm missing out on here?

Halitosis said:
can someone pls tell me how many years does it take to graduate from japanese med or dent school? is it 7 or 8? thank you!

It's usually six (6) years. The Bachelor's/MD program is combined and taken directly after highschool. It's usually 2 years of general education followed by 4 years of med school, but all done at the same campus. There's a push to change it to the U.S. system of 4 + 4 with a separate application process for medical school after the bachelor's degree.

The U.S. Navy has some kind of a medical connection in Japan - in Yokosuka. There are a few international clinics with internationally trained docs. Most of these clinics cater to foreigners in Japan. You can also look into Okinawa - they have an American military base there.

The other way to make connections is to find Japanese docs training here in the U.S. My med school, for example, has hosted one Japanese exchange medical student here for the past few years and many of my classmates have gone to Japan for rotations.

I think as a whole though, it would be difficult to pick up the language and customs enough to be able to make Japanese patients feel at ease.

I have a friend who is married to a Japanese woman and he hopes to practice in Japan after his residency. So I guess anything is possible. He's been working on his Japanese with his wife...

If you just want to live in Japan and treat international patients, it is not actually necessary to obtain a Japanese license. You can practice on foreigners provided you have a license from one of several approved countries. I can't remember all of the countires off the top of my head but I know US, Canada, UK, Norway, Sweden, Finland, France and Germany were on the list. Physicians licensed in India and Pakistan are also considered on a case by case basis. The restriction on using your foreign license however, is that you cannot accept Japanese national health insurance which means you're only going to see other foreign patients or those who are ineligible for national health insurance.

Hey all.
I am a us Surgeon, do to go to okinawa in about 7 months, with the navy. Would love to know if there is anyway I can do some moonlighting on the side while I am there (in a non-US hospital). I can take care of the permmission thing, what I need to know is if I need to do anything to make it legal (lic. etc.. ).

thanks to anyinfo.
A :confused:

Okinawa is fairly cut off from the rest of Japan...the nearest cities large enough to have a lot of foreigners are probably Hiroshima and of course Tokyo. Anything on Honshu would require a flight.

happeepanda said:
OOH! I really want to practice medicine in Japan as well! But I can't speak Japanese and my mother claims that immigration is very strict in Japan! She says that they do not want many people to come there from the US...

Is this true? Can anyone provide any advice for me??

Will I be more likely to be able to live in Japan if I study medicine there first??

PLEASE HELP!

It is true the immigration is very tough there. I don't really know why, but it has always been (as much as I know) a homogenious population.

If you want to study medicine there, you'll have to learn Japanese. I don't know any myself that offers lectures in English (there maybe a few).

Bumping this (very) old thread. Staff radiologist here. Looking to practice in Japan in 4-5 years time. Possible to do this in English? I secretly want the answer to be "no" since this will give more incentive for mastering Japanese language. Don't care much about pay - real estate side hustle will be enough to earn only a modest/part-time living in Japan. Thanks for any input.